Good Movies

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
fluffhead321

Re: Good Movies

Post by fluffhead321 »

Calvin wrote: November 27th, 2019, 8:54 pm you get that the majority knows this right?

that it's why trump got elected,

trump actually got 3 million less votes the Hilary, so not a majority. We just have a system in place that the voters from some states are worth substantially less then others...

Again, you allude to being so smart, yet consistently get facts wrong. You're either phenomenally arrogant, or twisting information to try and fit your narrative.
Facko likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

the reason for that is the populations of states are not the same, and you cant have 1 state determining policy for everyone just because it has a bigger population
fluffhead321

Post by fluffhead321 »

Calvin wrote: November 28th, 2019, 10:20 pm the reason for that is the populations of states are not the same, and you cant have 1 state determining policy for everyone just because it has a bigger population
still =/= majority
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Calvin wrote: November 28th, 2019, 10:20 pm the reason for that is the populations of states are not the same, and you cant have 1 state determining policy for everyone just because it has a bigger population
Ahhh dude just stop

The US is messed up
They have 2 senators representing 44 million people-in California and their 2 votes are worth as much as the 2 senators in Montana who represent a couple of hundred thousand people and a hand full of grizzly bears.

Exactly how are the majority being heard?
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
kentares likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

cos you're not really 1 country.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Bama wrote: November 28th, 2019, 10:56 pm
Ahhh dude just stop

The US is messed up
They have 2 senators representing 44 million people-in California and their 2 votes are worth as much as the 2 senators in Montana who represent a couple of hundred thousand people and a hand full of grizzly bears.

Exactly how are the majority being heard?
Good luck getting him to stop lmao.

Edit: California doesn't speak for America... it's ass backwards with its "progressive" sensibilities imo. But I'm just an okie so what do I know? :P

Population disparity is part of the reason for our system. I'm glad rural voices matter.
ultio mea est
Calvin likes this.
fluffhead321

Post by fluffhead321 »

I didn't ask for any whys or hows regarding the electoral college, I'm well aware...Stop dodging the point that you are actively spreading misinformation and making false claims.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

like what?
Facko

Post by Facko »

Fuck politics. Ima start a watchmen fight... sorry for thread hijacking with my dosbox talk bama. ;)

Tbh, I want you (Calvin) to watch more of the series. I'll spoil the origins of the hooded justice. He's a queer black man and sister nights grandpa. I was hoping they'd show what happens to looking glass but grandpa's story was perfectly (and I mean perfectly)
compelling and comic booky... Alan Moore wishes he'd come up with it but I doubt he's ever experienced true racial or sexual discrimination. His work reflects what he's been thru (not much) and I'd imagine the same goes for the shows writer here. It's intentionally slow and plodding and savors itself. The fact that it subverts its creators intentions and ideals is what I love about it and I hope this gets you to give it another go.

Cheers to all and lets talk entertainment here!
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

so we have an episode where basically the protagonist is 'put in the shoes' of a gay black guy, while he is abused by society?

yeah. no agenda there. totally entertaining sci-fi, super hero viewing. totally an alternative history.

the show is not about watchmen in the slightest. it's about masks, identity, and social justice. if that's what these freaks saw when they watched watchmen, then that just shows you how warped and one track their minds are.

watchmen is a black mirror type, alternative history, sci-fi, super hero story. with simliar irony and tone to The Boys, where the lines between the good guys and the bad guys is blurred to the point of hardly existing.

this new series is just identity politics, where basically the black people and the women are the good guys. the evil white men have been messing up the world in their terrible nefarious 'planning for the future', god damn them, how dare they. most of the show is just black mary sue struggling in the oppressive world, while old white mary sue just rambos her way through everything.

there's no sci-fi, there's no alternative history, there's no super heroes, there's no moral ambiguity, there's no black mirror tone to it. it's just terrible. it's a shit modern SJW show, skinned to have a few characters from the original that they can shit on by retconning to be full of regret, or 'they were wrong really in the end', or whatever. it's just shit. im tired of these social engineering wankers trying to push their agenda with things they regard as just a generic storyline. these mary sue identity politics films are all the goddamn same! and they are terrible. whatever frikkin skin they put them in.

it's much closer to Django Unchained than it is Watchmen. if you want an SJW movie, then go watch one, stop retconning everything to be one. people need to understand this is not a new norm that 'covers all genres'. it IS a genre itself. basically racist and sexist films. that is the genre. that's what it should be called. just because the focus of the racism is not black people, and the focus of the sexism is not women, makes them no less *about* race or sex A abusing race or sex B.

these are not subtle subtext either, they are the MAIN THEME.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

are the new star wars films about star wars?

or are they about the multi-cultural LGBT alliance versus the evil white men empire?

but is there any actual star wars in the new star wars films? not really.
is it about the force mostly? is it about the battle between the light side and the dark side? is about the cool weird aliens? is it about the vast and comprehensive universe? maybe it's about universal politics and power structure?
no... not really. it's about a girl... kickin some ass.

is there any star trek in the new star trek discovery series? or is it just about the multi-cultural LGBT alliance versus the evil nationalists. who are the evil nationalists again...?
is there a lot of enlightenment philosophy in it? are we off discovering new and interesting concepts to explore? are we meeting other political entities and exploring the interplay between their governments?
again, not really.. what is it actually about? well... women.. kickin some ass.. why are they kickin everyone's ass? well, cos they're women.

it's just so obvious.

they are all the same thing. it's basically just power fantasies for people with victim complexes.

now lets look at The Mandalorian.

how many times has he lost? it's only 5 eps in.
yeah he's pro, he's an ard guy. but he's not invincible. he's beaten by the blurg, saved by the farmer, he's beaten by the jawa's, has to trade, he's beaten by the mud horn, saved by baby yoda, etc etc. i wont give more spoilers. but the point is he is part of the world, he is not doing some ballet dance on top of everything.

the fundamental problem with the SJW shows, is they are badly written. it's fan fiction grade.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

hah check it out, someone has made the original 1973 Mary Sue fan fiction into a sims 3 Machinima:

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

you might read from this that i dont like women or black people, but that's non-sense. what i dont like, is putting those traits above character or anything else. i dont like characters that are defined by their race, or gender.

two really good films that have come out lately are Battle Angel Alita, and Black Panther.

you might think black panther is the same thing, but it's actually not, the writing is really good, the characters have differing motivations, killmonger is representing the malcolm x racist point of view, while chakala is basically just a nationalist! it's Wakanda forever, not black lives matter.

but that's how it should be, because these people have identities above their race.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

it'll be alright i suppose.. they're moving the crew from the avengers series over to the star wars IP to save it. they're just giving avengers to the dogs now it's finished it's grand arc. will have captain brie larson as the new leader. tho they are slightly grooming spiderman to take over.

but man, people are aware of this shit. the good writers, and the silent majority.

like black panther basically tricking people into thinking it was about race to cash in, like alita poking little jabs at it:

Koyomi: "Why don't you like her?"
Tanji: "I just never got that whole hard body thing. And beside she's URM. It means she was probably the enemy at one point."
Koyomi: "Yeah. 300 years ago. Get over it."

like joker becoming the massive hit it has been.

wokemen and the like will die off or just become a separate genre for giving damaged people sadistic gratification. there's a market for that..

you tell me if you think there's a difference, and which you prefer:

(even the fkin thumbnails say it all - capt marvel is a close up of her face, cos it's all about her, she has like slightly messy hair and a lil bit of a bloody nose, cos that's the level of hardship she has endured lol. meanwhile alita is side face, walking off, draggin a big ass minigun behind her, focus on all the destruction she's leaving in her wake. her story is part of the world, and she's not interested in what you think. this is the irony, SJWs cant write strong characters, they can only write weak angry ones that physics/the world/everyone else has to bend around to accommodate. cos they are bloody children.

that's why the game of thrones writers made such a mess of things when they got to the end of Martin's books. these people are idiots, they can't write, but they think they can. they are digital people with no sense of nuance. there is no black and white, we all live in the infinite grey area.)

hero is not supposed to be an unstoppable beast, they need humanizing or there's no stakes.

the only time they should be an unstoppable beast, is when they've already lost everything, and they become an avenging angel sorta thing, which is what alita is supposed to be. and also malcolm reynolds in firefly. these are soldiers who's war was lost.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Maybe Alan Moore is a better writer than I give him credit for (with watchmen anyways). If we can both read/watch the same thing and have completely different interpretations of it then he did his job well.

I have no agenda and I don't think the show does either. The original work and this are simply a product of their times. I personally think you're missing out though. Just like how some people got an anti-feminist vibe from game of thrones (really) I think you're reading too far between the lines.

Let the show unfold and you'll see everyone is kind of an asshole and a fuck up and not a "mary sue." Including the show's main (Angela) and Dr. Manhattan. Their feelings for each other led to nearly world ending events. The only real problem I had with it was that it needed more looking glass (wade was awesome).

Edit: the theme is change and the clashing of different generations of people and was perfect for the watchmen universe.

Edit 2: Alita was awful imo... Christoph waltz was wasted in that movie... even his part in the green hornet was better... can't comment on captain marvel, fell asleep three times trying to watch that movie. Boring asf.
Last edited by Facko on December 17th, 2019, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ultio mea est