Good Movies

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
Calvin

Re: Good Movies

Post by Calvin »

man i went looking for pirates of dark water, and i only found iso images of the dvds, so i ended up spending last night binge/rewatching the first 12 or so episodes while i sorted out the encoder settings and ripped them to video files. but man, what a show, it's really, REALLY good.

the voice acting, omg.

im probably gonna upload them to a file dropper site and post a link if anyone is interested.
Last edited by Calvin on July 26th, 2021, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Facko wrote: July 26th, 2021, 3:43 am I have a litany of complaints... I just wont... I'll just say I still have fond memories of my battery powered glow in the dark sword of power that made an electronic "shing!" sound everytime i swung it around... the dolph lundgrin movie was bad enough for my kid brain. Im not doing it again. I can tell that shit was art by comparison, even with the animation almost making me want to come back. TOM PARIS was in masters of the universe ffs! lmao!

I'd comment on your foreign films if I could watch any of the videos you or quebec post, damn youtube...
man, fk skinny kevin smith.

i had some of the toys, but honestly it was never one of my big favourites. conan was actually, the final film where he saves his family and stuff is actually on youtube.

can you see the titles of the videos at least? if you search youtube for the title, you'll get a localized copy of it.
--
thinking about it, i got the same thing on MiQ's video post tbh, but i hacked it :P
quoted the post, grabbed the video id, pasted it onto the end of a youtube address, and got the title from there.
a bit of work just to see what was posted tho i'll admit. fkin.. internet killers, trying to put fences around everything.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

-___-'

i'll split it in half..
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Part 1: https://ufile.io/v005m1oo

for some reason the same upload site keeps getting stuck at "storing file", i've uploaded it like 4 times to them and it keeps getting stuck, so alternative host:

Part 2: https://www.filemail.com/d/ywvekqgugpwfvjn

part 1 is up for 30 days, part 2 is only up for 7 though, so if people miss it lemme know and i'll put them up for another week/month/whatever.

sadly only got those 21 eps. it's a shame, but i can understand it, it's way too good for what it was supposed to be.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

8.5/10

6/10

7.5/10
Facko

Post by Facko »

ultio mea est
Known Aim

Post by Known Aim »

Calvin wrote: June 2nd, 33393, 2:56 am man i went looking for pirates of dark water, and i only found iso images of the dvds, so i ended up spending last night binge/rewatching the first 12 or so episodes while i sorted out the encoder settings and ripped them to video files. but man, what a show, it's really, REALLY good.

the voice acting, omg. Sometimes too loud, had to fix it with this tool https://online-video-cutter.com/volume

im probably gonna upload them to a file dropper site and post a link if anyone is interested.

Rewatching the Game of Thrones. Can't believe that they spoilt such a great series with such an awful ending :(
Calvin likes this.
Facko

Post by Facko »

I'm not going to say that this is good. But it was fun. Despite a few truly obnoxious characters.

Kinda saw the whole thing in samples while my girlfriend was binging it.
ultio mea est
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

squid games defo worth a watch. modern take on battle royal obviously, but still really good. would give it an 8.5/10

Dune film....... hmmmmmm..... 7/10... but 2 of that 7 are pure visuals and cinematography :/
it's not a bad film at all, but it's not the definitive version people wanted.
worth a cinema visit i guess because it's really more a visual showreel than a proper film.. bit like Kill Bill part 1.

here's an interesting surprise tho:

trailer actually looks pretty fkin good!
Facko

Post by Facko »

Hard to judge Dune for me as it's just part one. Didn't like the random cut to credits especially when it felt like it was just getting started 2 and a half hours later. Even tho it felt like it was building to something the whole way thru where it left off was genuinely jarring.

I liked the lynch film a long time ago for its camp value. Noticed it hit a lot of the same beats, just slower. Zendaya still managed to suck the life from her role even though she was just standing around not saying anything. Everyone else was good or adequate. Except mimoa... just don't like him as an actor.

Not a fan of the source material so I'm a little more ok with it. I'll catch part 2 when it comes out.
ultio mea est
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i cant stand the jessica man, and the paul does this the same thing with his voice that the parody guy is doing >.<

0:45 - arrg it's like the christian bale batman thing

i wish the pacing of the trailer reflected the pacing of the film.. cos they could put a lot more in then.

worst Lady Jessica ever tho

honestly i liked momoa.. see in the prequels it tells you about the ginaz swordsmen in a lot of detail, and they're like.. basically like legolass from lord of the rings, but with lazer swords... so momoa actually fits duncan more to me.. cos he's supposed to be a ginaz swordsman - acrobatic swordsman

like they fight 20 foot tall killer robots
i get that they've gone down hill a bit, but still should be similar

some of the casting, acting, etc is really great, but some isn't tbh..
whole thing is awesomely epic, but wish they'd had less of the slow style shots and more of the story
Facko likes this.
Facko

Post by Facko »

They did ok if what I hear is true, that you kinda need a glossary of terminology to follow some of this stuff. I never felt lost at any point in the movie. But I'm sure plenty was lost in the shuffle tho.

I think mom (and the rest of the bene gezerit (sp?)) was bland intentionally.
ultio mea est
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

naah man the bene jezz are really cool.. like they are an order of nuns, but they mess about with politics and stuff, so like they literally breed concubines for the great houses, who're schooled in how to be like... think red sparrow - those russian super spies.

see.. in the prequels, what happens is there's a big galactic empire that gets taken over by a bunch of people that call themselves the titans, then they get userped by their AI, cos one gives it too much access to stuff. but the titans get mechanized, like their brains get taken out and they get put into these giant killer robots, like ironman style, but more.. war of the worlds tripod. so the bene jezz are basically made as psychic bombs, to go in and like nuke the area and blow everyone's brains up, so they can just blow the brain in the can up instead of having to fight the massive death robot... but in the end they develop the space folding thing, and basically sterilize all the planets that have ai on them with nukes. so the sisterhood like survives, then gets in with the emperor.. and they like continue their genetic breeding programs by pulling all the strings and stuff in the background.

jessica is supposed to have a girl, so they can wed her to thade - the harkonnen heir. but the duke wants a son and she loves the duke, so.. but they're supposed to have like such mad control over their bodies that they can like pick the sex of their baby, read minds etc.

that's why when the mother superior type thing turns up, she's like ooh shit, cos she's kinda gone native - but she's still like, star pupil badass - like she's not actually a concubine is the thing, she's literally highborn, she's a harkonen but they dont tell her. she's on par with the duke or more, they're a really awesome couple. she doesn't actually plan to have the quizat whatever, i dont think she really believes in it. like she doesn't know she's a harkonen either, and she's uniting the 2 strongest house bloodlines.

and like cos they got rid of AI's they made the mentats as well, to be like human computers..

paul is supposed to have been trained as a mentat, have bene jezz training, be a descendant of the atradies (who are descended from one of the titans), and the harkonen (who are descended from the top general of the guys that sterilized all the planets), annnd be the accidental male result of the 1000 year long breeding program.. who then gets super charged with spice. lol

so... i dont like that he's dude-broing type thing lol
and jessica's just a fkin cryin shaking mess. the actress playing her has clearly not read anything about the character she is playing..

all im sayin is that while it is a good film, it's a 7/10, cos Dune is better than that, Dune should be an awesome film.
like a well done dune with that kinda talent selection behind it, should really be the definition of a 10/10.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

pretty sure i've posted this before, but i love this scene ^_^
even Granny Jessica has still got it :D
played by the fkin borg queen as well.

Facko likes this.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Maybe they should have gone forward with this? Lol

ultio mea est