WHY OSI LIKE SHARD?

Let loose about your latest battles and other PVP shenanigans here. (This section is still subject to moderation.)
Scripted U IRL

WHY OSI LIKE SHARD?

Post by Scripted U IRL »

Is Demise trying to copy OSI with all these horrific changes? Do you feel like Demise are losing playerbase and we just see bots?
Legacy

Re: WHY OSI LIKE SHARD?

Post by Legacy »

What horrific changes? lol

Also, Demise has always been OSI Like.
Lucifall
kentares, Bama and El Kabong like this.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Legacy wrote: February 7th, 2022, 9:49 pm What horrific changes? lol

Also, Demise has always been OSI Like.
LOUDER Brunus for the people in the back!
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

tbh he actually does have a point.. demise was 1 of 3 in them days.

the set was:
Demise - OSI vanilla - modern
Hybrid - Mix of T2A and AOS - old skool
and i think the other one was Revelations? or... reflections.. or... not sure actually. but i think that one was modded.

but honestly you have some very good, very old skool GMs here that have sorta 'seen it all' kinda thing. experience counts for a lot. you should trust their judgement.

like, people come in and suggest these gung-ho changes, but you are not saying anything new that hasn't already been considered most of the time... the server is a very carefully managed eco-system.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Legacy wrote: February 7th, 2022, 9:49 pm Also, Demise has always been OSI Like.

it's always been the 'best of' vanilla uo imo.

OSI is not like some holy book we all follow.. it's not even really OSI anymore.. and the subsequent owners didn't necessarily make good choices with longevity in mind.

i've said this before: i think we can have our cake and eat it too, just by making it modular. effectively the whole current game would be kind of crystalized, then you could just add new maps and content, as long as it doesn't clash with or over-ride the legacy content.

but to be honest/frank with you, saying we're a clone of OSI at this point is not true, and even saying we're a clone of UO at a point in history is not true either. we are better than both, but it is a cherry picked, cream of the crop, best of OSI that has got us there, not user generated+original content.

i think there is a space for that, and i do think it will enhance the server, but it must not infringe on what is already working - because that is not built/designed, that is evolved over time/grown.

you cant hands on build/fix/tinker with emergent gameplay like that, it has to be done subtly by pulling strings and seeing how that effects the greater whole. like you wont see an instant result, you will just see a change in trends, and the result comes a year or so down the line.

if you do stuff for instant results.. you're just gonna shock the system, and that never ends well.

just cos everyone is used to how it is, changes need to be gradual for everyone/everything that is related to adjust.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Calvin wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 6:16 pm demise was 1 of 3 in them days.

and i think the other one was
Divinity
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Calvin likes this.