Halloween Town

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
The Silvertiger

Re: Halloween Town

Post by The Silvertiger »

Necrodog wrote:
Bama wrote:??
If the game is not built upon at least some element of risk vs. reward, then why can't you get PS and stat scrolls in ilsh?

I do realize you can get arties from ilsh champs but they are a pain because of paragons and no PS drops.
I usually get my ps's in malas or trammel.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Veteran Noobie likes this.
Veteran Noobie

Post by Veteran Noobie »

Necrodog wrote: 5000 gold for winning a tourney but a darkside dye for trammy events? LOL seems legit...

you are missing the point here, this game was designed mainly around pvm, if you want to brag about your epeen and be the best pvper go play call of duty you will fit in well here rage baby.
Always trying to be honest and helpful, if you have a question or need help please do not bother to ask!

Watch me shine, For I have been in darkness for too long.
Calvin likes this.
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

Veteran Noobie wrote:
Necrodog wrote: 5000 gold for winning a tourney but a darkside dye for trammy events? LOL seems legit...
you will fit in well here rage baby.
He does fit in well here... :lol:
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Necrodog wrote:
Bama wrote:??
If the game is not built upon at least some element of risk vs. reward, then why can't you get PS and stat scrolls in ilsh?

I do realize you can get arties from ilsh champs but they are a pain because of paragons and no PS drops.
I thought they changed something
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Necrodog wrote:
Calvin wrote:pvp is more for fun than for items. pvm is for items.
Explain to me why champ spawn artifacts and stat scrolls/power scrolls can only be obtained through champs in fel, where there is PvP?
a few reasons, first off, champ spawns were made by a guy that went on to design raid dungeons in world of warcraft. it's made to be a co-op experience for a guild.

its in fel because the fel population sucked, and people needed a reason to go there.

the scrolls are also cursed to drop when people die. i have done champ spawns on OSI, when they first came out, with a guild.
when they were on, they would be full of people, all blues, not really any reds around. the second the boss dropped, absolute chaos would erupt as people that got scrolls tried to escape or hide, some reds charged in from the enterance, and anyone who didn't get a drop turns criminal and starts attacking. thieves pop out of the shadows behind you where they've stealthed over and opened your pack. loads of stuff.

they were epic.

champ spawns now are a bit fucky. one person soloing them, teleporters between them all, constant patrols of reds..

it was not supposed to be a case of pvp is difficult and pvm is easy. so there was no risk/reward element to the champ spawns, just they were made for multiple people, and it was co-operation that was rewarded
desalonne wrote:
Calvin wrote:UO has massive elements of luck to it, that is where most of the game is.
you do the higher things to increase your chances, but it's all still luck for a 1 in 1000 drop.

the higher things like champ spawns are meant to make people co-operate and go in groups, it's not just supposed to be a tougher challenge, then the rewards are supposed to be split between the group.

look at world of warcraft pvp, there was an arena set which had bonuses geared toward pvp, but most of the items were from raids and pvm.

in fact the raid/pvm gear would give people an edge in pvp. but they actually did require a group..

i think you're looking at the game wrong tbh

pvp is more for fun than for items. pvm is for items.
This is inaccurate. It was expressed upon the creation of fel as well as the release of champ spawns that the uo developers wanted to leave in the element of risk vs reward. Which was the entire concept of fel. (Even the admins here attempted to keep that with mobs having a quicker respawn time in fel)

The pvm community has trammel so they can enjoy farming and adventuring free of being pkd. But if you want the high end items you need to as you said, get a group together and risk the terrors of fel to farm the high end items. The entire concept is you are going to put everything on the line in order to make out with the high end gear. (Where pvpers lurk waiting to play the bad guys and risk it all to get theirs) it's entirely what uo was founded on. Hence originally having no trammel area. Trammel was created for you to have your pg fun.

The high end game items should require the risk of having to go to fel to get them. Otherwise why would anyone go to fel to do anything? Everyone would just farm suits/gear/scrolls in trammel and fel would be entirely people standing at a moongate. The entire reason powerscrolls don't drop on trammel spawns. Risk vs reward. Its the foundation of the game. It's the constant balance that uo developers continued to strive for. Add pvm content. Balance it so fel is a risk vs reward system. It's always been that way.
you mean the creation of tram?
which was created so people could choose to play pvp + pvm /or/ pvm only, and still get access to all the content of the game

fel was not made as a pvp area. the game was made with an open world of no rules, and people didn't like it, so they made tram.

fel is not 'a pvp area'. just on demise there is a red guild monopoly cos they script and stuff. you cant really win in pvp unless you are made for pvp on this server, scripts and all.

as i say, it was not supposed to be a case of pvp is difficult and pvm is easy, but on this the players are OP, so when you fight monsters it's easy, and when you fight players its difficult.
desalonne wrote: Its the foundation of the game.
it's the foundation of demise, because half the players here only play for pvp, which is why they dont need to do many updates etc
on the OSI servers, at least back in the day, there were far fewer reds, because they had factions.
Veteran Noobie likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Fel only drops are great if you're in the monopolizing red guild. which a lot of people on this forum are

it's not really a pvp area because of the monopoly, they might as well just drop the items straight into your banks. that's basically what you want - to get rich for nothing. or just for being in the biggest red guild.

everyone wants to get rich for nothing...

to be fair i actually managed to get 2 pairs of earrings last year, so it's not impossible, but only because the 2 red guilds were busy fighting each other, and one of them let me side with them
Last edited by Calvin on September 19th, 2017, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amish Hammer likes this.
Mr Straitions

Post by Mr Straitions »

Calvin wrote: a few reasons, first off, champ spawns were made by a guy that went on to design raid dungeons in world of warcraft. it's made to be a co-op experience for a guild.
Citation needed. According to this, the only notable Origin member that was working on Ultima when champion spawns were created that had any involvement with Blizzard worked in customer service. (Eric "Maleki" Avila). The other Employee that went on to work for Blizzard (Tom Chilton) didn't work for Origin until 2001. Champion Spawns were released in 2001 with the Third Dawn expansion so saying Tom Chilton had involvement with them is a stretch; especially because he was hired to work on Age of Shadows.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but who are you talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_Systems
The Silvertiger wrote:If it were about kills and not objectives, then the axis won ww2, by a landslide....
Discord: Alter Ego#1069
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Mr Straitions wrote:
Calvin wrote: a few reasons, first off, champ spawns were made by a guy that went on to design raid dungeons in world of warcraft. it's made to be a co-op experience for a guild.
Citation needed. According to this, the only notable Origin member that was working on Ultima when champion spawns were created that had any involvement with Blizzard worked in customer service. (Eric "Maleki" Avila). The other Employee that went on to work for Blizzard (Tom Chilton) didn't work for Origin until 2001. Champion Spawns were released in 2001 with the Third Dawn expansion so saying Tom Chilton had involvement with them is a stretch.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to know more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_Systems
"The original designer of the champion spawns (Fiery Ice, now of Worlds of Warcraft) wanted the chance to get a champion to be rare. He succeeded overly well. One factor was that a player had little to no idea of where they were in regard to summoning the champion (thus the introduction of the candles)."
http://www.uoguide.com/Champion_Spawns

might be wrong like
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Mr Straitions

Post by Mr Straitions »

Interesting. I have never heard of this guy. I wish that interview was longer. At a quick glance, not to much information is available for this guy. Did it specifically say somewhere that he worked on WoW raids? The only thing i found was he was a programmer.
The Silvertiger wrote:If it were about kills and not objectives, then the axis won ww2, by a landslide....
Discord: Alter Ego#1069
desalonne

Post by desalonne »

I am guessing you never played osi during aos/ml. Yes there was less reds due to a faction system in place (which demise currently doesn't support well). But the pvp community was still twice the size of demise current population.

As far as the zerg guild comment. Thas a terrible mentality to have about fel and pvp and the ability to gain items in fel as result. You are just as capable as MB. Brunus. Malo. Zulu. Blitz/cal. Alvin. To create a guild and recruit members and go out there and spawn/pvp over the end game items just as everyone else does.

I understand its hard but it's not impossible. Especially when it comes down to halloween champ spawn. You can win 8v20 just by playing better. It's a choke point....8 dudes can wither 20 dudes down with little difficulty if you do it right. Fel had a huge population on osi. Yea they played in factions. But they still were in fel risking a fight for every item they had to grind for.

I also want to let you know the most populated and most emulated era of uo is uoren. Pre-aos.....no trammel rule set. As in a majority of uo players will actually tell you that trammel is what killed off a huge portion of the uo community. And the constant complaining on uostractics by the pvm community about not getting to have access to everything g thst the fel facet has access to has slowly killed the uo population.
ortiz

Post by ortiz »

Calvin wrote:Fel only drops are great if you're in the monopolizing red guild. which a lot of people on this forum are

it's not really a pvp area because of the monopoly, they might as well just drop the items straight into your banks. that's basically what you want - to get rich for nothing. or just for being in the biggest red guild.

everyone wants to get rich for nothing...

to be fair i actually managed to get 2 pairs of earrings last year, so it's not impossible, but only because the 2 red guilds were busy fighting each other, and one of them let me side with them
Everyone has equal chance to get drops. If you dont pvp then you trade for the item you want. I dont pvm so if I want an orny I trade for it.. It works
Bama wrote:
Opywang wrote:You have to pertitipate

Is that like Mittittippi
Fuck off

Calvin and Bama like this.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

UO Ren gave us Trammel and Felucca
Last edited by Bama on September 19th, 2017, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Vander Nars

Post by Vander Nars »

There needs to be a reason to get blues to turn off their afk sampire farming scripts and come to fel for a fun fight and that reason is H-town! We will see you there calvin :twisted:
desalonne

Post by desalonne »

Bama wrote:UO Ren gave us Trammel and Felucca
My mistake you are correct. I confuse the osi era with the free server >.<
Bama likes this.