I'm a completely new player to UO

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
sugarcrisp

I'm a completely new player to UO

Post by sugarcrisp »

Hey thanks for reading this, I'm not sure of the best place to post something like this so I thought I'd just try out general.

I've been a huge ultima fan for years, I've played most of the single player games but never got into this game. My computer/connection wasn't ever good enough when it was released and then I started playing Asheron's Call instead, I never came back to it unfortunately. My partner was into UO, so now I'm trying to get into it. I have a lot of questions. I'll post a few here and hopefully someone can help me with the things that I'm finding too tedious to enjoy, as well as any general advice for me hopefully. I'd prefer to communicate over voice chat, so something like discord or whatever would be nice if anyone is willing.

First off, is there any way to auto loot certain objects? Even just basic things like gold and gems are getting so tedious to click and drag into my backpack, mainly gems because they're like 4 pixels. I have something that opens corpses that are nearby me, but it doesn't always help as things tend to stack up on one another and I don't even know if I'm missing something. Helping looting would dramatically improve my enjoyment of the game so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

While looting is on topic, I'm really curious about where I should go to try and find better gear. I've been mainly trying to kill things in fire and ice, and I get overwhelmed sometimes but I can still lockpick some of the chests and crates and find some decent stuff. However, someone gave me a suit of LRC gear when I started playing and I haven't found anything to replace that. My question surrounding this is, how do I progress my character's gear? I can just farm gold and buy from vendors, or get handouts from someone, but what if I was just trying to solo grind through gear? Is that an avenue I can pursue?

Stats on gear are kind of confusing to me as well. Defensive stats are fairly straight forward, but I don't really know what stats are preferred for every class. I look at a weapon or a piece of gear and it's just a mess, I don't really know what's most important to whatever class I decide to play.

Right now I'm mainly using magery to kill things. I've got 100 magery, evaluating int, meditation, focus, resisting spells, and lockpicking. I also have spellweaving and mace mastery but they aren't maxed. I started off with maces but found that killing with magery was a lot simpler since I'm brand new to the game. Is there a recommended build that I should go for for newbies? Magery is fine but the fizzles are kind of tiresome, as well as clicking on little tiny monsters like snakes and things like that. Is there any easier way to target things automatically maybe? I find that I mainly use earth elementals to kill things because it's not as cumbersome to cast things over and over.

Aside from all that, what is it I should aim to do? I like killing things and getting loot, mainly. Any quality of life advice would greatly improve my enjoyment of the game, and would be appreciated. <3
Ajani

Re: I'm a completely new player to UO

Post by Ajani »

sugarcrisp wrote:First off, is there any way to auto loot certain objects? Even just basic things like gold and gems are getting so tedious to click and drag into my backpack, mainly gems because they're like 4 pixels. I have something that opens corpses that are nearby me, but it doesn't always help as things tend to stack up on one another and I don't even know if I'm missing something. Helping looting would dramatically improve my enjoyment of the game so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
auto looting is not allowed. do you use UO Steam? if so there is a option to make a gridded system which helps loot alot!
Made In Quebec wrote:Some people's pleasure are sticking vegetables up their asses. While it's not my personal cup of tea, they can do as they please, since it's their asshole's.

I find this quite entertaining.
Casting is shit
Ajani

Post by Ajani »

You should make a tamer it makes the PvM part of the game easier and takes cheap gear
Made In Quebec wrote:Some people's pleasure are sticking vegetables up their asses. While it's not my personal cup of tea, they can do as they please, since it's their asshole's.

Casting is shit
Ajani

Post by Ajani »

Also if you are online now I have a starter 100 lrc suit you can have

Casting is shit
Dispiro

Post by Dispiro »

Congratulations on being the only first time player in probably 15 years!! Jk.. Find me in game and I will set you up to be self sufficient!
sugarcrisp

Post by sugarcrisp »

Sorry, I don't mean auto looting like completely automatic. Just to where I don't have to try and click on tiny little pixels over and over for repetitive things like gold and gems. Anything different than the default would help immensely. I use Razor, but ive never heard of UOSteam, what is that and what does it do?

Also, is there anything besides a tamer that is effective at killing stuff quickly? I already don't care for managing earth elementals I'd rather just kill things without pets.

Again, I'm not looking for handouts or anything like that, I just want to understand what I need to do so I can kill stuff easier and what gear to get for myself and where I should start working to obtain it. I'm not against handouts either, but I mainly want to enable myself to be able to obtain gear without outside assistance.
Dispiro

Post by Dispiro »

I do not use any sort of auto looting. Just the default auto-open corpses so I can't comment on that. UOSteam is like Razor, but it allows you to type the commands instead of relying on recording.

Yes there are things more effective than a tamer. Do you prefer to play a ranged caster? Archer? Melee? Combination? Do you want to PvM? PvP? The skill system of UO allows for a near infinite number of templates. They vary as much in effectiveness.
pimpinez

Post by pimpinez »

there is macro and hotkeys categories in razor and uosteam to help with targeting enemy/criminal/friend and making qol changes like mini healing, self targeting, last target. like others have mentioned UOsteam has gridded layout to make looting easier. As for gear progression is gonna come from either other players or yourself by crafting & farming. for pvm gear is not that important for a mage class you can even make naked templates. For the most part the loot is garbage except for rings & braclets but you can still find some decent looted items to use maybe pop on a vendor for other people making new chars or just starting. as a mage mostly looking for 2/6 min casting, 4/6 for spell weaver, spell damage increase, lower mana cost, Mana regen, lrc, defense chance increase, hit point increase, and luck. these suit pieces are gonna be very expensive just fyi. as a new player just get a cheap lrc luck suit and as much as the mods, and i also recommend adding spell weaving to your template or necromancy. in pvm resist spells is meh keep a trap pouch, focus is a waste unless your suit is extra bad and you cant maintain mana.

can try something like
spellweaving
necromancing
spirit speak
wrestling
magery
eval
resist/med

another cheap template is archer tamer then you can drop taming and lore when your account get soul stones (3 month vet reward i think) and keep bonded cu to heal you and tank dmg while you kite.
taming
lore
speallweaving
archery
tactics
chiv
healing
sugarcrisp

Post by sugarcrisp »

When you say 2/6 min casting, is that faster casting or casting recovery? same with 4/6 spell weaver. I have 30% reduced mana cost and focus maxed and I still have mana issues. I have to stop and rest after killing 2 or 3 arctic ogre lords. I'm not against getting higher spellweaving or necromancy, but I don't know where to find spells for spellweaving. I already completed the quest for it and have my spellbook but it only came with arcane focus and gift of renewal, where can I get more spells for it? I can get necromancy instead of something else as well, maybe focus? I kinda want to keep lockpicking for now since I just finished leveling it up. What is a trap pouch?

As for what classes I'd want to play, I don't really care what it is if it's effective at killing stuff. I started playing a mace character but my partner and I went to the solen hive and those things would explode and one shot me. After that I just used magery as it was a lot safer to fight those things. If it turned out being melee is better overall then I can switch to that or just make another character. I would really prefer to not have to deal with pets, though.

Is decent gear just something you aren't able to find in general? Aside from rings and bracelets I mean. I can start a character to make gear with trade skills or something, but I'd prefer to just kill things than farm.
sugarcrisp

Post by sugarcrisp »

I tried using UOSteam today, how can I make it help with looting? Or to target and attack stuff faster and easier? It's a bit of a lot to take in without any real instructions to speak of. I was only barely able to use Razor the past week or so that I started. All your suggestions and help are appreciated <3
pimpinez

Post by pimpinez »

You dont really understand mechanics of game to make OP suit this take years. Casting is (faster cast/faster cast recovery) but like i mention there is ways to play uo naked. if you want to make a melee char make a archer with a weapon skill that how you do dps without mana or taking dmg; for example, the sack tap. uo steam has 2 catagories hotkeys and macros and you could drop resist spells for lockpicking in the template i posted you get the spells from the dungeon where you got the spellweaving quest. Sanctuary Felluca then kill the changelings, titans, mobs that cast, and any filthy reds. spok has website for good info but most info for UO is on stratics or uoguide websites. however, it is not exactly correct for Mondain legacy only it will have other expansion info. Additionally, with necromancer comes 2 spells for mana regen lich form and wraith form. wraith form is good so you can just wither kite aoe mobs like harpy, something that doesnt cast spell to often or the arcane dungeon area when your heal timing and kiting is good. wraith form adds a mana leech to your spell attacks for MR; unlike lich form which will add a flat number to your MR value. i suggest looking at the websites above and reading all the spells for necromancy, spellweaving, and any other skills stats you have in a template.
Last edited by pimpinez on April 5th, 2018, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carenia

Post by Carenia »

pimpinez wrote:You dont really understand mechanics of game
He's a new player of course he doesn't understand... :\ Maybe he's read a bunch like me and it still doesn't make sense because it's a confusing game when you know NOTHING. I had issues with a lot so I ask a bunch of questions to get clear answers, I learn everyday.

A lot of guides don't make sense with abbreviations and stuff.

Also telling a newbie to go to Felucca is not a good idea. :(
<3
I remember every one who's been kind and cruel to me in this game. Thanks for helping get me on my feet!
pimpinez

Post by pimpinez »

they can learn to heal time & disarm if it get active but that dungeon is dead like 85% of the time is brigand camp. maybe anthoy file dead body, a monk, or MB lumberjacks china bot farm.
Dispiro

Post by Dispiro »

pimpinez wrote:they can learn to heal time & disarm if it get active but that dungeon is dead like 85% of the time is brigand camp. maybe anthoy file dead body, a monk, or MB lumberjacks china bot farm.
wut
pimpinez

Post by pimpinez »

alt-shift brings up the name bars that how to target

i also got a simple melee that can be tweak with skills removed
http://www.uogdemise.com/community/view ... hp?t=11718