[suggestion] Trivial skills outside skillcap

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
S7orm

[suggestion] Trivial skills outside skillcap

Post by S7orm »

What about having skills that have no combat benefits outside the skillcap?

I'm talking about crafting skills (excluding Incription) or skills that are usually either stoned or skilled on a second character for T-hunters (fishing, mining, cartography, lockpicking).

I find that people going for Tmaps mostly run a second character to decode/dig/pick a chest and a full template to clear the place. Using two chars alternatively is not against the rules but having those skills on a single template might help promote those activities to people that don't find fun tabbing on multiple clients.
Arthrutus

Re: [suggestion] Trivial skills outside skillcap

Post by Arthrutus »

While I like the idea, I am against it for three reasons:

One reason I disagree is because it makes the game more "solo-able." Granted, one can complete a t-map using two characters but it's harder to do so because you're playing alone and alternating between clients. It's harder because it's trying to encourage play with others.

A second reason I disagree is because some crafting skills are useful in PvP:
- Alchemy (Enhance Potions bonus)
- Inscription (Spell Damage bonus)
- Poisoning (Either a PvP or crafting skill, depending on your perspective)
- Tinkering (Faction traps)
- Lumberjacking (Melee damage bonus)
- Carpentry (Strategic box creation and placement)
- Tailoring/fletching (Repair armor/weapons on the run)
- and more just dont have time to look through the skills...

And lastly: Realistic expectations. UO was meant to be a game where each individual can specialize in a field of their own choosing. Ultimately, when these individuals work together, they can potentially syngergize to achieve their goals. If we were to put crafting skills onto the same individual who specializes in fighting, players would be less inclined to work with others and things, like repair deeds, would become less frequent.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Are you telling me people on Demise use 2 characters to do t-maps?
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Valkyrie likes this.
S7orm

Post by S7orm »

Arthrutus wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 12:07 am While I like the idea, I am against it for three reasons:

One reason I disagree is because it makes the game more "solo-able." Granted, one can complete a t-map using two characters but it's harder to do so because you're playing alone and alternating between clients. It's harder because it's trying to encourage play with others.
You're still soloing, the only difference is tabbing between clients. And since you have to do it out of combat, it's not in any way harder
Arthrutus wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 12:07 am A second reason I disagree is because some crafting skills are useful in PvP
of course that would be limited to only skills with no benefits. That could also be limited to only Arms Lore, so to allow crafting characters to have all crafting skills on one char (bs, bow, carp, tail, tink, alchemy, 45 music) with some +magery on gear
Arthrutus wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 12:07 am And lastly: Realistic expectations. UO was meant to be a game where each individual can specialize in a field of their own choosing. Ultimately, when these individuals work together, they can potentially syngergize to achieve their goals. If we were to put crafting skills onto the same individual who specializes in fighting, players would be less inclined to work with others and things, like repair deeds, would become less frequent.
The main suggestion was for trivial skills (Begging, Camping, ForensicEval, TasteID) and all those skills usually trained on a second char for T-hunting (fish, cart, lock, mining)
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

T-hunt not required two chars

For example

My T-hunter
Carto 100
Lockpick 100
Music 120
Discord 120/Peace-used both version
Taming 105
Lore 115
80magery
60mining
Include skills from items can go more
Don't gain the world and lose your soul; wisdom is better than silver or gold.

Discord: Maya/FireFly#0573
Bama likes this.
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

Strategic Boxes... :lol:

Yo, file, put carpentry on one of your characters and start dropping boxes. Would be hilarious.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

Camping is not useless at all-safe log off anywhere :)

Arthrutus

Post by Arthrutus »

Your suggestion makes it easier to solo. Im against that. You can still solo currently but its just harder because you either have to cram your template or tab between two clients.

Making it much more easier for one character makes tmaps a much more worthless endeavor. The only easy way to do tmaps is to go with others. One focuses on the chest and the others focus on the spawn. Get my point?

Your point about Armslore being the only skill so crafters could have all the crafting skills with magery is a bit presumptious. I currently have a crafter with all the skills (minus the resource gathering skills) and 75.0 magery to create mage circles. To accomplish this requires quite a bit of skill on items.
Last edited by Arthrutus on November 3rd, 2019, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

No. My suggestion is just for show you how easy it can be done without any modifications on skill caps. You can easy get 100 free points for skills with items you easy can obtain. 15 mining from gloves + pickaxe :) 10 music from sleeves taming lore both 10 from travesty mask- lets do more- 20 magery from crystalline :) its already 65-->use scrapper with skill like magery 10+ its bring us at 75already :). I can show you more overskilled builds+all should be basicly 100lrc/40lmc or some mr