Advice plz: Lockpicking

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
SuryaDao

Advice plz: Lockpicking

Post by SuryaDao »

Hello all, a newbie here and out of UO since 2001

I have been on Demise for about a couple months toying with some builds. I was wondering if making a toon that can sneak into dungeons and open chests has any viability. I found a paragon chest that I can't open with my warrior and started thinking I'd make a roguish-type build that can hide and sneak to get access to chests throughout the dungeons and such.

Is this just a silly thought? Should I go treasure hunter instead with high lockpicking and magery instead? Any advice would be grateful. I have lots more questions coming soon. Thanks!
medamaude

Re: Advice plz: Lockpicking

Post by medamaude »

A treasure hunter would be better. Loot packs on all chests here are disappointing. With treasure maps, though, at least the level 6 maps have arties. They're not super great arties, but they're arties. You'll want a toon that can handle balrons and AWs. The treasure hunters I've seen who actually tackle the level 6 spawn are often tamers with GDs. A lot of others just loot & scoot, or get killed, and then leave the spawn (which then wander over by people's shops, thanks guys).

If you like sneaking and stealing, and you want profit, your best bet is probably stealing from other players at champ spawns in Felucca. If you want to go that route, there are other folks here who can give you more guidance. I would, but I am a dirty Trammie and not versed in PVP stealther builds.

But as for treasure chests, none of them are really are optimal ways to make gold. If you do them, do them for the fun of it. Lockpicking is still a useful skill though, if you like collecting paragon chests or have friends who collect them.
The Silvertiger and Bama like this.
SuryaDao

Post by SuryaDao »

Thanks for the info. I started on a tamer and maybe that will be the best route to continue down as a treasure hunter. I'd like to open those paragon chests. I'll try and see if I can fit lockpicking into the build.
zulu2401

Post by zulu2401 »

Its only 100 skill lol. Should be easy