A Few Ideas for the Server

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Arthrutus

A Few Ideas for the Server

Post by Arthrutus »

I have a few ideas to reduce AFK-farming and possibly improve PvP mechanics. Some of these might be too difficult to implement.

1. Make the amount you leech (Hit Life Leech, Hit Mana Leech, Hit Stamina Leech) scale based on the CURRENT hits, mana, and stamina of a creature. E.g. As a creature starts to die, you start to leech less life. As you drain their mana, you leech less mana.

2. Scale insurance costs based on item intensities. The higher intensities an item has, the more it costs to insure. This would make PvP more rewarding and will allow for a larger goldsink. This will also make PvM more challenging.

3. Players cannot ride tameables if they lack the necessary Animal Taming and Animal Lore required. Attempts to mount will be met with "You do not know how to mount this creature."

4. Dismounting specials/bolas will have special changes to reduce abuse.
a. BOLAS: The chance for a successful dismount will depend on the target's Defense Chance Increase. An
individual will have a ((100% - Target's DCI)/2) chance to hit. A successful dismount will result in a 15
second cooldown timer while a unsuccessful dismount will result in a 5 second cooldown timer. Players
hidden who attempt to perform a bola dismount will be given an overhead message: "You are revealed
as you menacingly swing your bola!"
b. DISMOUNT SPECIALS: A warmup time of 3 seconds is required in order for a dismount special to go off.
You will also remain revealed when performing a dismount special. The chance for a successful
dismount will follow regular attack chances. There are no cooldown timers. Players hidden who
attempt to perform a dismount maneuver will be given an overhead message: "You are revealed as you
prepare to dismount your target!"

5. Dueling pits will have the option to wager gold. Players can duel each other for the total sum they put forth. 10% of the jackpot goes to the gold sink and 90% goes to the winner.

6. Players can escape e-fields when victim to the X-technique by moving diagonally (Northeast, Southeast, Southwest, Northwest). This does not apply to wall of stone x-technique or a combination of e-field and wall of stone x-technique.

Just some ideas. May be complete crap. Open for discussion if you so wish.
Amish Hammer likes this.
The Silvertiger

Re: A Few Ideas for the Server

Post by The Silvertiger »

4a Firstly, is that subject to DCI cap?
Secondly, 27% chance at 45 target DCI is pretty high when the cooldown is included. Drop the /2 and it would be cool.

4b 3s would allow a player to run all the way offscreen and make it basically useless. Currently seems pretty balanced unless you're getting ganked. If you're getting ganked just have to time the dismounts.

1. just fix leechs to osi mechanics.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Arthrutus

Post by Arthrutus »

The Silvertiger wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:57 pm 4a Firstly, is that subject to DCI cap?
Secondly, 27% chance at 45 target DCI is pretty high when the cooldown is included. Drop the /2 and it would be cool.

4b 3s would allow a player to run all the way offscreen and make it basically useless. Currently seems pretty balanced unless you're getting ganked. If you're getting ganked just have to time the dismounts.

1. just fix leechs to osi mechanics.
For 4a, I dont think bolas should have a 100% hit chance against 0 dci. Maybe /1.3 or /1.25 sounds better. Right now bolas have a few seconds warmup and 15 second cooldown after using them.

As for 4b, I was just half-assing there. It most likely doesnt even need to be changed.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Scale mana leeching to swing speed Like OSI
Halved for ranged weapons Like OSI
No mana leeching from things that don’t have mana Like OSI

I didn’t read anything after mana leech but if you added fix casting Like OSI that would be cool
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Bug

Post by Bug »

Fix fishing.

My four fc is the same as zero fc, has no affect at all on this skill.
Teepolizer2

Post by Teepolizer2 »

Arthrutus wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:41 pm 2. Scale insurance costs based on item intensities. The higher intensities an item has, the more it costs to insure. This would make PvP more rewarding and will allow for a larger goldsink. This will also make PvM more challenging.

3. Players cannot ride tameables if they lack the necessary Animal Taming and Animal Lore required. Attempts to mount will be met with "You do not know how to mount this creature."

a. BOLAS: The chance for a successful dismount will depend on the target's Defense Chance Increase. An
individual will have a ((100% - Target's DCI)/2) chance to hit. A successful dismount will result in a 15
second cooldown timer while a unsuccessful dismount will result in a 5 second cooldown timer. Players
hidden who attempt to perform a bola dismount will be given an overhead message: "You are revealed

5. Dueling pits will have the option to wager gold. Players can duel each other for the total sum they put forth. 10% of the jackpot goes to the gold sink and 90% goes to the winner.

#2: I have to note that by doing that, it would more or less disable new pvpers who are just entering the scene of pvp/dont have lots of gold for insurance.

#3: This is just a simple bug fix. Right? Perhaps I dont know what Im talking about here, but I dont believe the current method is working as intended by OSI standard.

#4: Im a little bias on this one because I love bolas so much that I dedicated an entire toon that does ONLY that. If you nerfed bolas, I would be very sad. But thats just me =)

#5: Good idea. I dont think it would affect the game that much as the majority of pvpers want nothing to do with the inside of an arena. I myself am a huge arena fan, so bring on the arena incentives!
Bug wrote: May 29th, 2020, 3:56 am Fix fishing.

My four fc is the same as zero fc, has no affect at all on this skill.
Yas. And can we also incentivize (sp? meh) treasure hunting a bit too? Falling on deaf ears all of this is, but try we must. No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
MMMartin

Post by MMMartin »

just wanna add, we can also add reduce price selling stuff to NPC,

something like if sell 100 items same type, price will reduce to 1GP each item xD

i think this was implement in later patched UO, reducent macro way make golds xD

aswell i see something like if sell too much one NPC, it will say dont have enought golds and need wait some time for NPC recover golds stack xD

next one maybe most important add can be reduce enter HW towen to only 1 player per IP enter, this can reduce 70% macroing xD

HERE ARE TONS WAY MAKE NEW PLAYERS NERF, just because all old players get best stuff and they lose value, let rerf new players xD gread idea :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Silvertiger

MMMartin wrote: May 29th, 2020, 10:34 am just wanna add, we can also add reduce price selling stuff to NPC,

something like if sell 100 items same type, price will reduce to 1GP each item xD
this was implemented at one time due to scroll sellers. Did they revert it?
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

The Silvertiger wrote: May 29th, 2020, 1:46 pm
MMMartin wrote: May 29th, 2020, 10:34 am just wanna add, we can also add reduce price selling stuff to NPC,

this was implemented at one time due to scroll sellers. Did they revert it?
It was never implemented
The coding god at the time couldn’t figure it out
He did a work around
He tried bless his heart
I believe repeat I believe he turned his thoughts to taking over the world
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
atomic chicken

Post by atomic chicken »

Arthrutus wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:41 pm I have a few ideas to reduce AFK-farming and possibly improve PvP mechanics. Some of these might be too difficult to implement.

1. Make the amount you leech (Hit Life Leech, Hit Mana Leech, Hit Stamina Leech) scale based on the CURRENT hits, mana, and stamina of a creature. E.g. As a creature starts to die, you start to leech less life. As you drain their mana, you leech less mana.

2. Scale insurance costs based on item intensities. The higher intensities an item has, the more it costs to insure. This would make PvP more rewarding and will allow for a larger goldsink. This will also make PvM more challenging.

b. DISMOUNT SPECIALS: A warmup time of 3 seconds is required in order for a dismount special to go off.
You will also remain revealed when performing a dismount special. The chance for a successful
dismount will follow regular attack chances. There are no cooldown timers. Players hidden who
attempt to perform a dismount maneuver will be given an overhead message: "You are revealed as you
prepare to dismount your target!"

6. Players can escape e-fields when victim to the X-technique by moving diagonally (Northeast, Southeast, Southwest, Northwest). This does not apply to wall of stone x-technique or a combination of e-field and wall of stone x-technique.

Just some ideas. May be complete crap. Open for discussion if you so wish.
1. I believe is how osi works, but every pvmer/spawner will lose their mind if this is fixed. That being said I personally wouldn’t mind.

2. Could be a gold sink but new pvpers would take longer to accumulate gold to be pvp ready. How would it scale is the question? Per mod? Artifact rarity? Etc.

3. I support it but current method is okay too, you have a disadvantage to riding a cu, which is if you die and someone attacks your pet you cannot remount it, so it breaks up effectiveness of quick res.

a. I wouldn’t want this because there’s already a automatic dismount debuff to the thrower, and you can dodge bolas by dismounting Right before the swing is supposed to go off or Line of sight it. It’s not too hard to dodge.
b. This would make dismounters completely obsolete outside of stealthers. I don’t think it’s a good idea. I’d literally never get dismounted if they had a 3s timer to prep lol, I’d just walk away.

5. Sure, no harm in it.

6. Why? If you get xfielded you should probably die. It’s actually very hard to xfield someone without paralyze now since they did the slow tile release. So only situations I can see an xfield is 2 dudes running up to you, one drops xfield on you uses para blows and next guy has a preloaded xfield and drops it on you. Which I think you can trap pouch that in time although pretty hard to do. Other example is maybe an e/o para which is your fault for not having a trap pouch or way to get out of paralyze.
Tl;dr: I don’t think x efielding someone is prevalent enough to really need a nerf like that. There’s counterplay already available so I think having counterplay is sufficient for balance and preferable over making something useless.
fluffhead321

Post by fluffhead321 »

Bama wrote: May 29th, 2020, 3:30 am
No mana leeching from things that don’t have mana Like OSI

I didn’t read anything after mana leech but if you added fix casting Like OSI that would be cool
From my recent experience on OSI, thats not really how it works...My weapons mana leech from things with no mana, but wraith form cannot
Arthrutus

Post by Arthrutus »

Y'all have awesome thoughts and I agree with all of you. This sounds like a constructive discussion post.

Item insurance would scale based on item intensities similar to how CUB rewards emblems. I agree this might punish new players entering the PvP scene, but at the same time, it will provide bigger rewards for them and punish those who have the most powerful items. In a way, a newer player with lower class gear will gain more and lose less compared to someone decked out with amazing 5-mod items.

The only major issues I think need tweaking are the leeches, item insurance, and dueling pits. The rest are just ideas that you guys effectively negated. For mounts, I think it would be cool if they had armor for horses so they wouldn't die so fast in PvP. It would also be cool if all tameables, including horses, could be trained in resisting spells. I don't see any downside to this except making it harder to poison a person's mount when they're dismounted.

Along with leech fixes, I thought it would be cool to remove life leech from undead mobiles. Seeing as they're undead, there wouldn't be much to leech from, right? This would probably make Dungeon Doom a much more tougher challenge as it was intended originally.

A cool suggestion by Bama was removing mana leech from mobiles without mana. This would also definitely make diverse templates a necessity.

Keep in mind, when I say leeches, I mean ALL forms and weapon mods that can leech.

Other than that, very cool and nice discussion we have here.
Excorsion

Post by Excorsion »

all i see is a pvper trying to force those who don't wish to, to pvp.... how about you suggest things for pvp that are affected only in the pvp world instead of suggesting changes for all just because you don't like it in pvp...

Don't like those cu sidhe pvper's? how about you kill the dog when you kill them instead of leaving it alive... bola's work well there. BTW on this shard it's not player vs player anymore... it's scripts vs scripts...Another note... 90% of the pvpers...are those players afking for resources and heartwood stuff and doom.

The whole idea of the shard was a mondains legacy type shard not a customized to the wazooo shard. otherwise why pick demise over any other (insert random shard here).
The Silvertiger

Excorsion wrote: May 30th, 2020, 4:46 am all i see is a pvper trying to force those who don't wish to, to pvp.... how about you suggest things for pvp that are affected only in the pvp world instead of suggesting changes for all just because you don't like it in pvp...
Arthrutus wrote: May 28th, 2020, 10:41 pm 1. Make the amount you leech (Hit Life Leech, Hit Mana Leech, Hit Stamina Leech) scale based on the CURRENT hits, mana, and stamina of a creature. E.g. As a creature starts to die, you start to leech less life. As you drain their mana, you leech less mana.

These are decent ideas that are neither pvp or pvm. The first one is also semi osi accurate and era accurate. Well, the way he put 1 it could be construed as pvm, but should hold over for pvp too. It's known that leeches are inaccurate.

3... you could definitely make the argument that it's a pvper mentality in place here, but they could just as easily make it facet specific like they have done with casting. I don't care for it as it's not OSI accurate.

4, 5, and 6... don't concern you at all if you don't pvp and will have no effect on you if you don't pvp.
Excorsion wrote: May 30th, 2020, 4:46 am The whole idea of the shard was a mondains legacy type shard not a customized to the wazooo shard. otherwise why pick demise over any other (insert random shard here).
The initial idea wasn't ML seeing as how ML came out after Demise. There are already custom scripts to balance things here, so asking for more isn't really a big deal if leads to balance. Examples: HW drop rates, explo pots, wildfire.
Selling List & Vendor

atomic chicken

Post by atomic chicken »

Arthrutus wrote: May 30th, 2020, 2:43 am It would also be cool if all tameables, including horses, could be trained in resisting spells. I don't see any downside to this except making it harder to poison a person's mount when they're dismounted.
They can learn resisting spells, you just have to cast on them to train it up.