Community contributions - how do we do this?

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Gargl Kark

Community contributions - how do we do this?

Post by Gargl Kark »

Hi all,

on Six on Saturday June, staff wrote:

Community contributions are always welcome, though we’d much rather see help in the form of validation of mechanics and research rather than code submissions. The validation and verification is usually the most time consuming.

So, how do we know what to do?
[ ] play, and if you find something odd start mincing about on the forum until a sufficient level of annoyance is reached?
[ ] there is a secret repo somewhere, and if you're clever enough to find it, you'll get a mask and cape and the title "hero of the day"
[ ] staff will announce and call to action

?

:)
Whammy | Timezone: GMT+2

2020-09-17: SALE | Jewels List
The Silvertiger

Re: Community contributions - how do we do this?

Post by The Silvertiger »

I think it's this:
If you believe you have found a bug or want to assist with getting bugs fixed, go research on OSI.

If it's era specific, meaning that the mechanic or systems have changed on OSI since ML, then look for patch notes, OSI forum posts during time period [uostratics and hot go back that far], wiki's during the time period relating to OSI with dates.

Aka the grunt work.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
An Elemental likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

https://www.uogdemise.com/community/vie ... 14&t=31195

it's stuff like this, this is actually exactly what they need.

they dont have time to check every commodity in the game can be put into a deed and they haven't forgot one.

it's the same for everything, they put the system in, but there's a lot of wiring up and finishing work, like making sure all items are included in the system, or all the gfx are locked down; that's what testers are supposed to test. also things like..... actually this is gonna be easier...

i've not actually watched it but this is basically what you're asking.
really tho the game needs players as much as testers..

one of the things i got told in QA was that they want a lot of different types of people to test it in different ways as well. so one person might be mad on the lore, another mad on the mechanics, another mad on the art, etc.

hmm video's not great.. it's more for people looking to work in the industry than telling you how to do it.
end of the day there are sort of levels and areas to it. try to test the things you are best at, but dont over-reach i guess is the basic idea.
like the pvpers weren't wrong to bug report the casting, just a bit wrong to demand it be changed, and tell them how to change it without understanding why. shoulda just reported the issue at a more basic level and let the devs fix it their own way really.
The Silvertiger wrote: July 11th, 2020, 12:29 pm If you believe you have found a bug or want to assist with getting bugs fixed, go research on OSI.
Aka the grunt work.
when you see an OSI difference, you are actually reverse engineering a bug.. so there will be something in the game that they put that in to address or enhance.
so your bug reports are a bit weird... instead of reporting the problem, you report the solution... to an unknown problem.. if you wanted to give a full report then find the problem as well.

and yeah pretty much the grunt work.. but like... someone needs to do it..

(dont mean to be arrogant about this, but it was literally my day job at one point so you should probably listen to me on this one if nothing else.)
The Silvertiger

Last edited by The Silvertiger on July 13th, 2020, 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Bad Religion likes this.
An Elemental

Post by An Elemental »

Calvin wrote: July 11th, 2020, 12:38 pm https://www.uogdemise.com/community/vie ... 14&t=31195

it's stuff like this, this is actually exactly what they need.
Stuff like this are now called QoL changes you could never deed these on osi until SA when they became a reg for mysticism.

I still think they should be able to be a deeded item just to make it easier for players to buy and sell them
At 1 time there was a large group of people who found bugs and did all the "grunt work". It doesn't matter though Eos checks everything on osi anyway because we can all bullshit the "grunt work" if we want to.
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

that's like pure chaos.
no issue tracker, no queuing, no targets, no release plan.
hence: community contribution is what the Open Source scene in general is choking on, a well-ment but ultimately effectless blabbering.

sorry for the steaming, now to be helpful:
* let's have an issue tracker, and let's vote on issues to sort a list
* let's select bugs and features for a periodical release from that list
* let's give out some gamification stuff to people helping

and bam - we'll get this advanced in no time!

the nerdy bunch will hop in very fast, I'm sure.

An Elemental

Post by An Elemental »

Gargl Kark wrote: July 11th, 2020, 8:54 am Hi all,

on Six on Saturday June, staff wrote:

Community contributions are always welcome, though we’d much rather see help in the form of validation of mechanics and research rather than code submissions. The validation and verification is usually the most time consuming.

So, how do we know what to do?
[ ] play, and if you find something odd start mincing about on the forum until a sufficient level of annoyance is reached?
[ ] there is a secret repo somewhere, and if you're clever enough to find it, you'll get a mask and cape and the title "hero of the day"
[ ] staff will announce and call to action

?

:)

I think the thing you quoted said something about a strange contraption that they have been working on "behind the scene"
3 years ago this was reported
https://www.uogdemise.com/community/vie ... 14&t=12275

We don't need a cape or a mask or a title of Hero of the Day. What we need is a shovel to remove all the bullshit that is thrown about
The Silvertiger

Just think before last year they didn't even have the tags accepted invalid etc ... It would be nice to have a bug\etc priority list, tho. The problem really is based on staff inactivity. People get burnt out testing without a response. It's like did I do all of this for nothing? That is the state of bug reporting on Demise.

Bama could conjure up a hundred bugs\inaccuracies tomorrow and test them, but if no one codes them what good is it? Furthermore, there are well able coders in the community, but by restricting the coding to staff only nothing gets coded. I suspect the reason for the restriction is to keep the code private.
Selling List & Vendor

Gargl Kark likes this.
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

I agree to both of you, and recommend an accessible list as remedy.

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

.. it's black box testing...

cant find a tutorial that's not by an indian person lolol

it doesn't have to be shit stuff.. like when you are giving your opinion on things that is usability or accessibility testing.
which is perfectly legit.

i dont know why they wanna keep the code black boxed, but it's their own choice that. probably there are systems in there they dont want to explain :lol:
or just dont want us knowing how it works, cos that makes things easier to exploit...

the demon bones thing - fair point, could just be a design choice.
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

Calvin wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:49 pm
i dont know why they wanna keep the code black boxed, but it's their own choice that. probably there are systems in there they dont want to explain :lol:
or just dont want us knowing how it works, cos that makes things easier to exploit...
It's more like lack of time I guess. If they could make a living out of this, imagine how fast reactions would be.

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Gargl Kark wrote: July 12th, 2020, 6:41 am
Calvin wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:49 pm
It's more like lack of time I guess. If they could make a living out of this, imagine how fast reactions would be.
more population would solve a lot of problems. this is the thing about the pvpers, cos they are only 1/4th of an mmo player base, but they've been focused on hard by the devs, for some time, for whatever reason. but it's made the ecosystem collapse a bit. pvpers are kinda the least useful player type as well, cos they're top of the food chain sorta thing, so they dont provide for other classes, so much as eat them.. like, they dont make the entertainment for other players; other players make the entertainment for them...

see how one thing knocks onto another tho.. less players = less donations = less work getting done.. then the pvpers blame the low population on the lack of updates... like.. if people were playing this game for updates, they wouldn't be playing this game.

see i think they need to make some event content that will bring back the types of players that will make more players join, instead of focusing on the players that make people quit.. even if they are the most obnoxious :lol:
Gargl Kark

Post by Gargl Kark »

you've certainly got a point.
however it should be kept in mind that staff earns their money elsewhere. it's a non-profit kind of thing, so whatever will happen, this is the bottleneck, and it will not change for sure.

Calvin likes this.
The Silvertiger

Don't be fooled! The actual numbers:

Using the main bullet points for number of changes:

From July 2019 - July 2020
23 changes had 0 effect on PvP,
10 of these changes somehow effected PvP whether it be visuals or actual mechanics. * +

From July 2018 - July 2019
18 changes not related to PvP
12 related to PvP *

From July 2017 - July 2018
13 changes not related to PvP
2 related to PvP * ++

That brings us to a grand total of 14 updates in the last 3 years. Out of 78 total changes made 24 were PvP related in any way possible. * **

* Included champion spawn related changes such as boss timers and justice change as PvP related even though it is only PvP if you are in felucca and get raided.

** I didn't include any event opening, closing, or gifting.

+ In the April patch they actually included the [PvP] tag for a total of 3 out of 14. I added 2 other bullets (the animal form bullets) to the PvP list even though it's not necessarily a PvP fix.

++ Yes for a whole year only two changes were added that affected PvP: wildfire [also affected pvm, but glass is half empty so let's focus on PvP] and server wars [not necessarily a PvP change, but see previous bracket.]

PS. Feel free to dispute any of these numbers.
Selling List & Vendor

kentares and An Elemental like this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

just looking through 2019

yeah the vast majority of these are just world fixes and bugs. the only things that are really pvp and pve focused that jump out, are the casting system, and the afk check gump.

this is where it would be good to look at OSI and see what they did, because they will have had the same problem.. tho it is understandable if EA wanted to take it down that route. like, EA Sports anyone? that is literally what EA does.
EA "challenge everything". aka "ruin everything". but that is the sort of games they like to make.
actual original UO is barely a product really, its a micro-world.. built by a madman :D
i love it :lol:

honestly it's like the best sociological experiment ever, and it's a total accident.
he wanted a better world, so he made one ^.^
but it's actually such an amazing vehicle for studying humanity. yas are bastards lmao.
that's the general conclusion :P or at least they'll take over if not kept in check.

that's probably what he came to realize as well, despite his best efforts, humanity will assert itself...
i think it's fantastic personally. not in the chaos and destruction they leave behind them, just in the fact that uo is such a mirror for reality.

+

:lol:

so it's like reality is reality, society is the microverse, uo is the miniverse, the pvp is the teenyverse.. :lol:
sorry im just having fun with it now :P