Calvin's Off Topic Thread

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
The Silvertiger

Re: Calvin's Off Topic Thread

Post by The Silvertiger »

Last edited by The Silvertiger on July 27th, 2020, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

honestly i can tell when people are full of bile and vitriol... but you're not... you're just... you dont know what you dont know... you're really not a bad guy.
The Silvertiger

Probably could be considered a rude reply
Last edited by The Silvertiger on July 27th, 2020, 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

*pats you on the head*

they are listening bro, dont worry about it :)
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

have you ever heard of the Dunning Kruger effect?
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

im kinda intimidating when i let loose... it's why i dont usually.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

ya know it's interesting actually, cos im listening to that trump song.. and looking at the graph, the expert doesn't achieve supreme confidence. which makes sense, i may come off as supremely confident, but it's necessary to do that, because you cant show any weakness to you lot. makes me wonder if trump does that.

see the truth of the matter is, i avoid responsibility, because i know im not infallible. but i also know people expect a hell of a lot from me, so making a mistake is like.. a very big thing for me. *you* can fuck up all the time, everyone expects that... :lol:

but if i fuck up.. that's a big deal, because i get a lot put on me.

im a perfectionist, but i know im not perfect. what i underestimate, is how bad everyone else is...

but responsibility is terrifying man.. especially when everyone has faith in you.
*looks over at eos* :|
The Silvertiger

Last edited by The Silvertiger on July 27th, 2020, 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Selling List & Vendor

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

im not lying about being able to make the game from scratch though. it is a 90s game after all. in a newer engine like unity.. it'd take a while but you could make it. the only thing i couldn't do is the netcode.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

The Silvertiger wrote: July 15th, 2020, 8:57 pm I don't mind presenting myself as weak, inferior, and just plain bad at most things. For instance you probably are smarter than me in quantifiable fields, but in practical fields you appear stupid. Take for instance all of the knowledge you have about gaming and that I could never hope to learn, but it is I the guy without a degree who is explaining simple systems to you. It's like Einstein who could understand far out things that even the most intelligent people are still attempting to understand today, yet he never learned how to swim even though he frequented the waters aboard his sail boat.
its because i take that for granted... like.. i dont know the engine for... i dunno... i've not used maya, i've used 3Dmax. but see, all the games companies have in house software, they dont teach you to use a single software package, they teach you the fundamentals, so you can pick up any package and learn it in hours. most of the tools will be the same, just in different locations.

then they also teach you the over-arcing principles. the middle bit, the actual proficiency with the software itself.. yeah you're right i dont know that specifically, but i dont need to.

i would if i was actually working on it. but all im doing is advising really. for that i just need to know the fundamentals, and the over-arching principles...
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

it's really not about learning a piece of software... that's easy. but thats the actual work... the conceptual stuff... it's why you pay high prices for consultancy fees, because you're not paying for the work itself, you're paying for the expertise that has been built up over years.

like.. i dont mean to be a dick, but using the software is everything to you... it's nothing to me. it's like, i know how to drive, it doesn't matter what car you put me in. might take me a minute to find where everything is.. but that's all..

half the time the people dont even know what their software is actually capable of.. but because you know the fundamentals, you know what to look for. do ya get what im sayin?
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

my biggest problem is that i massively over-estimate how much people know tbh...

see usually when im talking about this stuff, it's with other developers.. have you ever tried giving a parent IT advice over the phone..?

see it's even worse when you're trying to give your lil sister IT advice over the phone, and she's doing computing at college or something, and insists she knows things, which she totally doesn't know... there's just no telling them :/
til they break it.

like i looked through their syllabus... she does not know what she thinks she knows... it's all basic shit, but of course it is. but to her.. it's the secrets of the universe, and now she's a 1337 #4x0r ^.^
i remember those days :3

what you'll find though, is that the people that actually know enough, will get what you're talking about.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

*hug* ;)

okay maybe not the bed part. dont get the wrong idea :lol:
The Silvertiger

I'm not reading every post and not watching any videos.
Selling List & Vendor

Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

im actually kinda glad you said that.

this is the thing, maybe stupid people aren't stupid.. they just refuse to learn, sometimes from a very early age.. maybe that's what stupidity is, and they actually are *capable* of it...?

... wishful thinking tbh