Mouse Cursor Flicker

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Dr Dark

Mouse Cursor Flicker

Post by Dr Dark »

Is there any way to stop the UO cursor flicker when moving mouse in windows 10?

I remember in Windows 7 it was a disable visual theme/desktop composition fix. I can run the mouse in a separate thread via options and that deals with flicker but then it has targeting issues and other quirky issues. Running in compatibility mode for XP with SP3, or any other modes does not seem to help.

Any ideas or do I just need to put up with a flickering UO cursor? Anyone else having this issue?
An alcoholic villain with the ability to manipulate the darkforce. :twisted:
Calvin

Re: Mouse Cursor Flicker

Post by Calvin »

are you using a touch pad or touchscreen monitor at all?
Dr Dark

Post by Dr Dark »

No touch pad or touch screen.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i googled flickering mouse in games windows 10, and that was the only real suggestion, the rest are all about flickering graphics in general, or not in games..

urrrrg... first thing you wanna do then is find what is causing the problem... how good are you with computers? you basically wanna disable/close things until you find what fixes it, then either disable that single thing, or modify it to work...

check things like hardware acceleration on your mouse, themes, resolution, colours.. it wont just be a general thing, it'll be something specific that's conflicting.

is it just the mouse that's flickering? is it just when it's over the game window?

start off by just closing all your extra processes in task manager, then reboot if it doesn't work, to re-open them. if it's none of those, then start on windows settings. reboot in safe mode with networking, you might be able to run UO in safe mode, im not sure. but it'll disable all the advanced gfx features. if that works then it's a windows setting.

ignore the shitty windows 10 stuff, just press winkey+r and type "msconfig"

it is kinda ironic that windows 10 is so bad that you have to just bypass the interface :lol:
but honestly, trying to fix anything in the windows 10 interface has like 20 extra hurdles. it's not actually made for PCs ya see.. it's made for like touch screens, phones, tablets, etc. basically to save them money so they dont have to make a separate OS for each thing. but normal PCs really suffer for it imo.

you could just install windows 7, that'd fix it :lol:

oh actually just get the shell that makes it look/function like win7.
http://classicshell.net/

then go to your control panel and put "mouse" in the search. toggle all the options in there and see if anything fixes it. you're just looking for the problem first really. once it's identified you should be able to fix it pretty easily.

it could be anything tbh, like v-sync, your refresh rate, etc. but booting up in safe mode will disable everything like that, so see if that works, then you at least know where to look. pretty sure that will fix it, and it'll be a gfx or mouse setting.
Dr Dark likes this.
Dr Dark

Post by Dr Dark »

Hmmm, running as administrator alongside compatibility mode for windows XP SP3 seems a slight improvement. I have changed in both Razor and the client start-up settings.

...or maybe my eyes are just getting used to the flicker, lol.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

.... do other things off the computer flicker as well? :P

could be your eyes :lol:

could you run it when you were booted in safe mode, and does it still flicker?
if it does then it's a pretty deep problem

as far as i know, might be wrong, but;

all that running as administrator does, is allows it to edit files and run extraneous subroutines - which is necessary for some games, cos they change their configs in real time while you're playing instead of running it all in an emulated window with virtual variables. windows 10 stops programs getting outside their box, to prevent viruses having their way with your system.

all compatibility mode does is disable a lot of the extra features - which is what safe mode would do, but it disables far more than compatibility mode.