Tokuno artys

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
Hogoulart

Tokuno artys

Post by Hogoulart »

Just want know If tokuno artys are dropin, or i Just losing my time killing fan dancers .
Gredras

Re: Tokuno artys

Post by Gredras »

They are currently turned off. But the items are more or less available to get from vendors for more or less normal price.
Jeller

Post by Jeller »

Follow up, do we know of an event when the drops will be on again? Or is that something unannounced ahead of time..
Bug

Post by Bug »

They were dropping just a couple weeks ago at Halloween Town.
Jeller likes this.
Vampire337

Post by Vampire337 »

According to viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1387:
Eos wrote: November 8th, 2016, 12:21 amWhen comparing this to OSI, yes, this drop rate is indeed too low. However, if everyone was able to obtain all their desired Doom artifacts within a day, there would soon be no point in keeping Doom around at all. The server would be flooded with them. This also goes for Treasures of Tokuno, which is not enabled permanently for the same reason.
Presumably there will be a C-Town event for Christmas coming up
Calvin and Jeller like this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i dont know for sure, am presuming; but i assume when the boss dies - if you have loot rights, it triggers a random number generation.

if the random number is within a certain bracket, you will get a reward > so it will generate another random number, and refer to a list of prizes.

this list of prizes could be 10 entries long, it could be 100 entries long, i dont know.
but the point is that the longer the prize list, the more often they can give a prize (widen the winning bracket), but to do that they need items to populate the list with - which is what tokuno artifacts are currently used for.

they drop as filler, to let people know they have had a prize roll. there's other things like hair dye, restyle deeds, low gold amount checks, stuff like that.

if you think of it as a percentage chance: if your list is 100 entries long, and the random number is 1-100. if you put like 20 of the entries as ToTs, then it's a 20% chance the prize will be a ToT.

it's a very good way to do it... but there is one small problem.. which is that random number generation isn't very good. there is a true random generator in the default libraries, but it's used for things like passwords and cryptography, with the number of random numbers UO generates, it'd probably blow the server up to try and use a true random. that's the real reason weird things happen tho, like you get the same roll on all the numbers on a magic/runic item.. cos it's got stuck or something. you'll notice people drop the same artifact in doom around the same time, or a single boss will randomly give like 5 top drops after a massive dought. there's nothing wrong with their code, just they expect the random to actually be random.. and it's not. honestly i've found it better at times to just set a sequence that appears random, rather than use the RNG. but it's not something you can fix that, it's a library thing to do with C (the actual programming language)

i made a suggestion a while ago that you could put on perma tots, in conjunction with perma-cub.
as the items would be getting destroyed (exchanged for a set point value), it wouldn't flood the server, but there would have to be a total overhaul of the cub system at the same time.

clearly they decided this was a better solution, and i kinda agree, it's a good system, plenty of tots but not too many...
Vampire337

Post by Vampire337 »

You mention C. Is Demise not using the RunUO base, and as such running C#? Semantical for discussion, but the two are different. One imagines that the server coded C# ought to have more optimizations for things like RNG. (I do have a copy of RunUO but I'll admit I haven't looked at the source in years now, for lack of time).

Not sure this was the thread to go down that rabbit hole. I mostly meant to source my understanding that ToT is permanently disabled on Demise because it would unbalance things.

RNG is a necessary evil for many reasons, but such a cancer in gaming.
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

"Semantical for discussion"
:)

ye i think it's C#

i didn't do programming so to me C, C#, and C++ are all just C ;P
my coding is all scripting ;)
but there's not a lot of difference imo.
i did do some C scripts for a project one time; cos i was working with a programmer, but tbh im not even sure which C it was.. it's all the same just different ways of writing it.

it's not really an optimization issue i dont think.. it's just the nature of a seeded random.
honestly i dont know what it's doing in there, but it gets kinda black box tested.. and the results aren't great.

sorry i get a bit carried away ;P
was just saying why the ToTs drop where they do, instead of where they usually do.