Unattended gathering?

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
adverserath

Unattended gathering?

Post by adverserath »

Is it actually monitored? You see it all over the place here. It was monitored a fair amount when I played 10 years ago.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Re: Unattended gathering?

Post by Bama »

Welcome back

I remember you doing a fair bit of coding.
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
adverserath

Post by adverserath »

Hey Bama! Yeah I used to do quite a few of the bug fixes. I remember reworking the Honor system and fixing the xheal bandage times. It was the first time I touched C# too, ened up getting a job doing it :lol: Even had the changes on my CV. To think, I used to do all the changes with notepad and csc to compile.
Excorsion

Post by Excorsion »

Short answer to your question is YES they monitor the afk gathering....

Long answer is... While if they come across someone who seems afk and gathering.....they will do something but i don't think they have the man power to police the shard...

That being said... there are some players who if they catch you mining or chopping wood while being afk.. they will go out of their way to get you killed or disrupt your afking like mining up a ore eley and luring it on to you.... but from my understanding... doing this can get you in trouble....aka some players i have heard of... will use in game mechanics to correct the afking like herding the bull you are afk taming for gain way out of the area..... but never heard of them getting in trouble but i dare not do it because i am a nobody.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

the problem is they are often watching it, or have it on other screen.. if you walk up to them and try to talk to them or whatever they wont notice, but if the screen turns grey from them dying, or being ported to like a jail for example; they will notice and then switch to the client.. they do catch a lot of people afk, but a lot of times they are actually there.
it's hard to tell and draw a line, even if they're just checking it every now and then.

the issue with luring and stuff to stop people afking, is if they're not afk, then it's greifing a playing player :/
rules probably need a bit of updating i guess..

the scripts are supposed to be like labour saving things, in terms of not having to click the mouse a million times.. but there does need to be some balance between that and automating the whole game..
adverserath

Post by adverserath »

So whats with the crowd of 60+ players running between a quest giver and a trash barrel non stop?
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

adverserath wrote: November 17th, 2020, 2:10 pm So whats with the crowd of 60+ players running between a quest giver and a trash barrel non stop?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=127
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
adverserath

Post by adverserath »

Was that the same as OSI? Seems like there should be a delay or a limit in the quest giving.
Its probably 1/4 of the people online
The Silvertiger

Post by The Silvertiger »

adverserath wrote: November 17th, 2020, 2:33 pm Was that the same as OSI? Seems like there should be a delay or a limit in the quest giving.
Its probably 1/4 of the people online
Actually, OSI if they had scripting would be worse because you can just do the same quest over and over.

There is a delay, here. If you notice in that thread he talks about it. 30 second minimum 150 second maximum for one quest.

I'll edit this to give you more information.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
adverserath

Post by adverserath »

Fair point, but OSI would have banned you for doing it with no refund. The fact this is a free server just means people can throw a vpn up and create a new account and have characters ready to do this within hours.

btw, I wasnt far off on my guess.
I counted 70 players in hearthwood. Thats 1/4 of the people reported online!
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

adverserath wrote: November 17th, 2020, 2:10 pm So whats with the crowd of 60+ players running between a quest giver and a trash barrel non stop?
it's because bows were not runic craftable for some years.. implementing the proper bod system for fletching would have been a massive job; my understanding is that they put the quest in as an alternative, so fletching kits could be obtained in game.

but i do think this was a quick temporary fix, i dont think it was meant to be a permanent solution. either way it's an easy way to roll on runic tools, so people exploit it.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/ ... lk-orders/
adverserath

Post by adverserath »

I could probably write it into runuo, it just doesnt follow osi.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

the demise version of runUO is heavily modified by this point.

i have an ooooold copy of it, but it's confusing as shit to read, figured out why tho, it's because it has both the code for demise and hybrid in the same scripts. then it only uses like half of it..

i reckon the demise server will be very different to the original runUO one. probably had a lot of the redundant code ripped out and several things re-written.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

the unattended gathering thing is tricky.. because it is a legitimate way to play the game..

if i give you 2 games as example: rimworld, and fallout 3.

one is a management game, the other an immersive rpg. the issue is that the people automating the game are playing it as a management game, effectively creating NPCs and setting them on tasks.
while the people playing it as an immersive RPG are only playing a single character and are "adventuring".

they dont wanna go all in on one or the other is the thing. because they will lose the alternative players.

it does kinda work though, the management players kinda make the world for the adventure players to adventure in... just there is a lot of balancing issues between the two styles.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Excorsion wrote: November 17th, 2020, 2:49 am
there are some players who if they catch you mining or chopping wood while being afk.. they will go out of their way to get you killed or disrupt your afking like mining up a ore eley and luring it on to you.... but from my understanding... doing this can get you in trouble....
You have no idea do you
Have you ever stopped to think why don't these AFK gatherers report the grief-ing?

I mean OMG WTF my AFK gatherers are always dead
And OMG WTF Bama even posts the screenshots of her grief-ing me on the forum

Maybe just fucking maybe they have more to lose than just an hour or 8 of not AFK gathering?

My buddy Grifo closed up shop real quick when 7 of his AFK ( co-op ) gatherers were dead at his house.
Grifo never complained. He packed up and moved his operation. I miss messing with Grifo ......

I can't 100% prove it but his

........latest move was to have AFK ( co-op ) gatherers with the same name hoping to fool people.
2 named Razor
2 named Papola
2 named Amerelo
2 named Storani

Notice the 2 Storani, 1 dead and 1 about to die
Grifo (maybe not Grifo) has not rez'ed the dead 1 yet because if he did the corpse would be bones and yet it isn't.

01Grifo.jpg
01Grifo.jpg (311.05 KiB) Viewed 4117 times

It's not luring
It is not killing elementals and walking away.
Which means when an AFK gatherer recalls in there is a good chance they will die while I go to drop off my ore.

Kentares needs to put a forge on that plot of land he has in Umbra it might save a few AFK gatherers' from death

Grifo (maybe not Grifo) is in Felucca on his stealth archer making it very difficult to pay attention to 8 AFK ( co-op ) miners

Staff needs to listen to Calvin about looking at the rules

That's right I said it LISTEN TO CALVIN ABOUT LOOKING AT THE RULES
Excorsion wrote: November 17th, 2020, 2:49 am will use in game mechanics to correct the afking like herding the bull you are afk taming for gain way out of the area..... but never heard of them getting in trouble
You just post away thinking that whatever you post is correct

It would be stupid to herd what someone is taming
I herd a bull that is not being tamed by someone
A taming attempt takes 12 seconds
If you fail taming that other bull I now have a 24 second head start to go to wherever I want to go with the bull I am herding
If the AFK tamers decide to tame that bull I am herding why would I get in trouble?
Explain yourself

AFK taming or not,tamers do not own anything they are trying to tame until it is tamed

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

2 Corinthians 9:8

Have a blessed day
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈