Demise History

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
The Silvertiger

Demise History

Post by The Silvertiger »

What this thread is
A place to share the history of UOGamers Demise from the perspective of players [All current staff were either players or not staff at time of creation so please feel free to post and/or correct any misconceptions.]
Last edited by The Silvertiger on June 19th, 2023, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget June 4th 1989!
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
The Silvertiger

Re: Demise History

The best I can gather Demise began in 2004. In the web archives the oldest screenshot from uodemise.com is September 11th, 2004. There were 21 users with the newest being psz. There is a reference to reskilling at res gates, so we can assume that it was full test server at this point.

In 2013, the owner of Demise, ryan, moved the servers to separate hardware to separate the resources, so that one server wouldn't hog resources. During this year he also legitimized the assistuo project by Chun and Diego.

On February 24th, 2020 Demise was reverted to a save on February 15th, 2020. This is important because it marks the day that Demise gained independence from Ryan and depending upon him to keep the server up. In recent times, under the ryan regime there have been two incidents where the server crashed and didn't restart. The first was called "the longest save in history" on May 4th, 2018. The second incident occurred on February 20th, 2020. With both of these incidents the staff faced a huge issue with dependence on Ryan: merely being able to contact him. After he was contacted on May 6th, 2018, it took but a mere few hours to get it back up and running. A majority of this time was spent, presumably, in a church service. [Note here: I'm all for church and this is not a detraction from that, but merely a note that it took very little time to get the server back up once Ryan was contacted.]
Selling List & Vendor

"Screenshots will never be used as evidence but more of a reference tool for us to help in our investigations."
Frasier likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

just a couple of gaps like :lol:
The Silvertiger

Forums:
The uodemise.com forum started in 2004.
In 2010 the various UOGamers forums were consolidated to uogamers.com/community and upgraded from vBulletin to XenForo.
The current forums started on September 29th, 2016 with the following message:

Code: Select all

For everyone wondering what's going on with the UOGamers.com website and forums, here's a quick summary of what happened in the past month:

Around August 25, the UOGamers.com web server (which also hosted UODemise.com and UOHybrid.com) went down. We've had hiccups before, so we waited to see if it would come back up.

After a few days, the website remained down. We contacted Ryan on August 28. We learned that the server hosting the websites had suffered from hardware failure. Ryan was working on it, but it wasn't an easy fix, and his IRL job was keeping him preoccupied.

On September 8, we decided to send another email as we hadn't heard back since. Ryan clarified this time that it was the server hard drives that failed (multiple drives, including backup drives) and that they were at a recovery facility. In the meantime, temporary hosting would be arranged.

Then, fast forward to now, September 29. We have again gone without any word since, and no temporary hosting was arranged. This has led us (the Demise in-game staff) to take matters into our own hands and set up a forum for the shard to use. This website and domain is our own, not affiliated with Ryan, which is why we're not on the old uogamers.com.
Last edited by The Silvertiger on November 17th, 2020, 6:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Selling List & Vendor

The Silvertiger

Calvin wrote: November 17th, 2020, 5:44 pm just a couple of gaps like :lol:
Feel free to fill them in. I'm researching some stuff to put in, myself, but this is a community project and I totally look forward to Alvin's post.
Selling List & Vendor

Calvin

Post by Calvin »

The Silvertiger wrote: November 17th, 2020, 6:06 pm Forums:
The uodemise.com forum started in 2004.
In 2010 the various UOGamers forums were consolidated to uogamers.com/community and upgraded from vBulletin to XenForo.
.... ryan didn't pay the monthly fees and the domain went down, they tried to get hold of him to put stuff back up, but ended up just registering and making a new one themselves.

im not sure if ryan got a new domain or got the old one back up again, but the community basically chose to use this one instead..

runUO originally ran 3 shards, hybrid, demise, and... was it divinity?

but basically it was supposed to be hybrid was a mix of pre-aos and aos stuff, demise was supposed to be a clone of the production servers, and divinity was supposed to be modded content like the pirate ships and shit.

divinity kinda died. but hybrid and demise did well, ryan and co did hybrid, and xav and athena did demise. xav went a bit nuts tho and couldn't handle it, so ryan had to get involved and sack him. demise passed to eos, larson, and selene.

moving the forums to being independant went well, so they have followed suit with the server as well. a lot of the problems we have had in the past have been due ryan being the ultimate authority, while being a silent partner. so hopefully those issues wont come up again.

i dont know if this is a good idea tbh.. because there are 'versions' of history... i would hate for one to become definitive..

im pretty sure the old forum was just a subsection of the RunUO forums. there was a very short time when those went down, when there was 2 demise forums.. you might be referring to that. but it was never really established, because this one was up and running a while before that, and there was no point moving back.. especially to be a subsection of RunUO. much better to keep the forum that's actually run by our GMs.

plus it's better designed, nicer colour scheme, more personal.. the one on RunUO was very bland and modern.
The Silvertiger

Calvin wrote: November 17th, 2020, 6:45 pm i dont know if this is a good idea tbh.. because there are 'versions' of history... i would hate for one to become definitive..
I agree that there are versions of history. For example the one where Xavier invented Demise. :roll:

The vBulletin forum. It also had styles other than white.

The XenForo forum. Still currently accessible. Has been revamped several times.
Last edited by The Silvertiger on November 17th, 2020, 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Selling List & Vendor

Jeller likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

136k members pfft...

this is before xavier banned all the chinese, then changed the house drop timer to 2 month and didn't tell anyone... hate that guy...

still only 200 online at the time, and a peak of 1k at one time. but that is forum... interesting numbers tho.
The Silvertiger

Calvin wrote: November 17th, 2020, 8:51 pm 136k members pfft...

this is before xavier banned all the chinese, then changed the house drop timer to 2 month and didn't tell anyone... hate that guy...

still only 200 online at the time, and a peak of 1k at one time. but that is forum... interesting numbers tho.
I'm sure that number is just the runuo.com members as you can see here in an archived version of runuo.com that a similar number is given a couple months prior.
Selling List & Vendor

Calvin likes this.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

The Silvertiger wrote: November 17th, 2020, 3:35 pm What this thread is
A place to share the history of UOGamers Demise from the perspective of players [All current staff were either players or not staff at time of creation so please feel free to post and/or correct in misconceptions.]
Get ahold of me when you get to the IPK NTK years I don't want to miss them
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

Maybe at my computer at home, I can find relic screenshots of forums or other part.

I have started getting involved on Demise somewhere in 08 or 09 I think, and it was for a rather cocky reason.

At that time, I was proudly sporting my "Forum Member of the Year" and Moderator title, and I tought it was funny that those followed through on Demise, so I started to go over and troll that forum from time to time. I've also done the same thing on Divinity, which actually if I recall, I was actually collecting Rep on Divinity and Demise, as they carried on to Rep on Hybrid. Divnity and Demise both had players with huge positive rep, which was giving us a me a huge boost everytime I could get them to up rep me. On Hybrid, since we liked being dicks to each other, high rep players were very rare, so the impact was always minimal, and way to long for my taste to build up good rep :)

I think that after the Xenforo switch, Xavier got into issues with the forums, as the Demise staff was not forwarded modding rights, I'm a bit fuzzy on this but I think there was an issue with the transfer, and I think Xavier was pissed that it was not looked into by RunUO staff.

So I sort of became a "mod for hire" for Xavier, and was doing his dirty business for a while, It was a bit awkward to enforce "demise forum rules" as I was used to "hybrid forum rules" but it was actually entertaining, and it's around that time that I have started to log on because I figured, why the heck not lol
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

The Silvertiger wrote: November 17th, 2020, 8:47 pm
Calvin wrote: November 17th, 2020, 6:45 pm i dont know if this is a good idea tbh.. because there are 'versions' of history... i would hate for one to become definitive..
I agree that there are versions of history. For example the one where Xavier invented Demise. :roll:

The vBulletin forum. It also had styles other than white.

The XenForo forum. Still currently accessible. Has been revamped several times.
Thank you so much for that,

I decided to have a look, and found this gem of a thread, somewhat recent actually :P

https://www.uogamers.com/community/thre ... 20.599881/
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Made In Quebec wrote: November 18th, 2020, 6:25 pm
I think that after the Xenforo switch, Xavier got into issues with the forums, as the Demise staff was not forwarded modding rights, I'm a bit fuzzy on this but I think there was an issue with the transfer, and I think Xavier was pissed that it was not looked into by RunUO staff.

Contessa
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
The Silvertiger

Made In Quebec wrote: November 18th, 2020, 7:20 pm Thank you so much for that,

I decided to have a look, and found this gem of a thread, somewhat recent actually :P

I'm pretty sure Chandra was actually ajani and I think you at that time knew it as well.
Selling List & Vendor

Made In Quebec likes this.
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

The Silvertiger wrote: November 18th, 2020, 9:39 pm
Made In Quebec wrote: November 18th, 2020, 7:20 pm Thank you so much for that,

I'm pretty sure Chandra was actually ajani and I think you at that time knew it as well.
Maybe lol