Will a revamp ever be considered?

General discussion pertaining to the Demise shard. Off-topic posts will be moderated.
The Llama Vortex

Will a revamp ever be considered?

Post by The Llama Vortex »

Even with the lack of activity / attractivity that the server is facing right now, nothing seems to motivate the staff to run away from this failed formula that is governing this shard for years.

Most people I know just play here because of the time they invested trying to get good gear, not because they are having fun while playing the game.

Why is the staff so reluctant to change the face of Demise? Is it the 100 (or less) real players that are still active? Your server is dying, DO SOMETHING.
Made In Quebec

Re: Will a revamp ever be considered?

Post by Made In Quebec »

I think easy math can answer that question.

It's probably somewhere along the lines

The amount of work required certainly outweight massively the possible positive impact a huge revamp could do.

If you take into account, that whichever change made, may in the best imaginable scenario, make 50% of the remaining population happy, and the other 50% upset, it seems like it be very hard to motivate yourself to start to do 20-30 hours of coding a week, free of charge, for that kind of results.

I know I wouldn't do it, working on small tweaks and fixes is definately more likely to happen, than assuming that someone feels like sacrificing all their free time, for a hundread or so usually ungrateful seasoned ultima online players.

Mind you, that's only my opinion
Vampire337

Post by Vampire337 »

The Llama Vortex wrote: December 15th, 2020, 2:48 pm ...nothing seems to motivate the staff to run away from this failed formula that is governing this shard for years.

Most people I know just play here because of the time they invested trying to get good gear, not because they are having fun while playing the game.
I maybe question your data pool in arriving at the objective conclusion that it is a "failed formula" that has "governed this shard for years". The server is still powered on and maintained to some extent, and it still has players you don't know (like myself) who log on and play because the old game is fun. Is it dying? Outside of anecdotal statements I haven't seen stats over time to show that the playerbase is dwindling and not in a lull that it will return from. The forums are to some extent replaced by Discord, so maybe the age of forums is passing, but Demise seem to still be here unless someone has some data to suggest otherwise.

That said, the staff don't exactly turn a profit from this. They presumably have lives to live, and don't owe us anything more than keeping the lights on. On top of that, Demise has made some intentional design choices, like remaining a Samurai Empire era shard. That limits some of the things they intend to do, even if they were to sink time into "changing the face of Demise".
The Llama Vortex wrote: December 15th, 2020, 2:48 pmYour server is dying, DO SOMETHING.
When you say "DO SOMETHING", what do you propose? Are you offering to help code some amazing new features and fix existing bugs? Do you have some really cool event ideas to share that could generate some new loot that would bring players back to the table? Are you ready to rebalance game mechanics to surely appease one faction while angering the faction that feels nerfed? In my experience, it is far easier to throw stones than to deal with the ripples that follow.
royal kapero2

Post by royal kapero2 »

Last edited by royal kapero2 on December 15th, 2020, 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Made In Quebec

Post by Made In Quebec »

royal kapero2 wrote: December 15th, 2020, 3:59 pm Bla bla bla Except those that do not play, and feel to dictate how other players should play (madeinquebec,calvin,silvertiger). bla bla bla
Did I say anything as to how people should play? But I did feel to urge to comment, when someone believe they are "owed" a server up to their standards, and that seem to imply staff should quit their day jobs to focus on making their UO experience a tiny bit better. That's really the only thing that ticks me, causing the incentive to comment.