Recent bannings (January 2020)

UOG: Demise news will be posted here.
subway2212

Re: Recent bannings( January 2020)

Post by subway2212 »

How do I apply for reinstatement if I have not joined the homepage?
I can't send messages
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Arden wrote: January 25th, 2020, 5:58 am I heard its legal to have 8 accounts now, all logging form the same IP as long as you have a family member. Can some one link me how to sign up for this?
are you asking for a dating website?
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

isterico wrote: January 24th, 2020, 5:09 am because the only way to play competitive from asia is to use a VPN (you ping 400+ without it. you can't play vs ppl that ping 20), introduce a PING LIMIT directly to the server, something like 100 or 150.
how would using a VPN lower your ping?
like... how does sending your packets to a third party before the third party sends them to the server, make the packets arrive faster?
i dont get it. surely a vpn is never faster than just connecting directly?

you might have to use it to get through the great firewall of china though... it's not like they throttle your connection if you're not from america.. the only reason to use a vpn is if you wanna get out of your country and they have an exclusive connection, or you wanna hide your identity/change your ip/location
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

isterico wrote: January 24th, 2020, 3:30 pm To limit the ping, and make ClassicUO a common thing will drop your ping around 300.
again... why? what does your client have to do with your ping? we all receive the same packets from the server, just your pc then displays them differently... it has nothing to do with the connection or ping? maybe your PC is struggling with the gfx, but that's not ping...
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Arden wrote: January 25th, 2020, 6:53 pm You realize every non American player uses some sort of service like this. Because without if the ping 500-1000
well im in england... ping's fine. all i use is razor. on the classic client though... maybe that makes a difference? *shrugs*
it shouldn't...

i think a lot of people just use a vpn cos it's safer these days to hide your identity, they probably use it for everything, might not be intentional cheating on here. but then there's definitely a lot of people that do.

would be funny if the whole asian community was actually just 1 guy
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Reetus wrote: January 25th, 2020, 9:46 pm An IP address isn't a person, my ISP uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT, so I have the same IP as half the country.
"What are CGNs?
On the internet, every connected device needs an IP address. However, the number of IP addresses (Internet Protocol Version 4) is limited and insufficient to meet the exploding demand for new addresses for connected devices including connected objects and smart phones. A new version of IP address (IPv6) which provides an unlimited number of IP addresses is available but the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 requires Internet access providers and internet content providers (websites, social media, webmail services, etc.) to update software and hardware. To address this problem, Internet access providers adopted CGN technologies which allow sharing of IPv4 addresses with multiple internet users (several thousands). This was supposed to be a temporary solution until the transition to IPv6 was completed but for some operators it has become a substitute for the IPv6 transition. Despite IPv6 being available for more than 5 years the internet access industry increasingly uses CGN technologies (90% for mobile internet and 50% for fixed line) instead of adopting the new standard."
https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/ ... ity-online

i learned something new :D
knew about v4 and v6, but never knew why.
what country?
isterico

Post by isterico »

Calvin wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:27 am
isterico wrote: January 24th, 2020, 5:09 am because the only way to play competitive from asia is to use a VPN (you ping 400+ without it. you can't play vs ppl that ping 20), introduce a PING LIMIT directly to the server, something like 100 or 150.
how would using a VPN lower your ping?
like... how does sending your packets to a third party before the third party sends them to the server, make the packets arrive faster?
i dont get it. surely a vpn is never faster than just connecting directly?

you might have to use it to get through the great firewall of china though... it's not like they throttle your connection if you're not from america.. the only reason to use a vpn is if you wanna get out of your country and they have an exclusive connection, or you wanna hide your identity/change your ip/location
usually connections for a nonbusiness customers pass for clogged nodes. The vpn, by a cdn can dodge those nodes.
vpn in gaming field for porformance reasons are common. It's not only for help our chinese friends to jerk their pretty rod.

Imagine all using buses in a clogged road. If you take a taxi (vpn), you can turn around the traffic. Doing more km but arriving before the bus. But you have to pay more for that.
Arden wrote: January 26th, 2020, 8:54 pm
Larson wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:19 pm It does not specify in our rules whether vpn use is legal or not. We absolutely understand why some people would want to use them when they have bad ping, but if you do choose to use one you run the risk of getting linked to someone who is using that vpn to circumvent our account limit rule or do something else bad.

We will look into any cases where an innocent party may have been caught up, but as you can imagine it can be quite difficult to establish who owns the 50 generically named accounts that share that vpn with you. You must also however appreciate that we do this job in our spare time and making sure we have got things right is very time consuming.

As a side note, we have not finished yet. If you are running more accounts than you should be, which is 4 per household, we will get round to you eventually too, no matter what nationality you are.
So for clarity -
Programs like wtfast and mudfish (and similar vpns) will cause a player to have similar IPs to other players. Which can lead to bannings. I know all of the due dillignce is being done to get only the bot accounts which is awesome! I can imagine how much time/effor that takes. Going forward, the players that have used those program and "found innocent" are they to some extent "white listed" to continue to use these programs. Or was this the sort of first and only warning. Meaning staff wont put the same effort in to protect the non cheating players.

The reason I ask, is I just want to know what the servers stance is on IP sharing, inadvertent or not.

Thanks
We need a clear answer by the staff about VPNs, maybe sticked or added in rules thread.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i dunno man, why doesn't your taxi use the same roads as the buses?
there's no separate wires going from the demise server to the VPN network...

you may well be right, but i still dont get it ;P

are you saying like the path from china -> UK -> america, is heavily used.
so you take a path from china -> russia -> japan -> alaska -> america. where there's less traffic?

i doubt it will prioritize speed.... hmm
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

from google:

"Connecting to a VPN server closer to the gaming server may reduce your ping - so it is worth trying it out. However, generally, a VPN will not reduce your ping much (if at all). Unless your ISP is throttling your internet connection, a VPN is likely to reduce your connection speeds slightly.1 Jan 2020"

i dont think there is really any *reason* for people using VPNs for demise.. but there are two types of people that do. those that are deliberately cheating, and those that use one as a default for everything. so you will have a mix of innocent and non-innocent people.

i'd use a VPN all the time if i was in china, otherwise they censor and block everything. but if you're just using it because you think you get a better ping... try it without? maybe this is why you're all getting like 500 ping...

++++

https://www.avg.com/en/signal/mythbuste ... y-need-one

Myth 1 - A VPN will boost your gameplay
Multiplayer gaming has been around for more than two decades and is just now reaching new heights with titles like Fortnite and Playerunknown’s Battlergrounds (PUPG).
As an online gamer, there’s one thing that counts: a stable connection with low latency. Some VPN companies claim that by connecting you to one of their servers closer to the source gaming server, they can help you reduce ping times and overall lag when playing the likes of PUBG, Dota 2, Counterstrike or others.

True or false?
Mostly false! In our tests we didn’t see any improvements in lag or ping times. On the contrary, while we didn’t see any upsides, many gamers complain online about the connection issues and lag introduced by the additional “middleman” server.

so i guess like... have a look at who is complaining about lag lol
those will probably be your VPN users
isterico

Post by isterico »

"Unless your ISP is throttling your internet connection"

There is your answer.

However, try it :) Your will undestand immediatly the difference (dunno from which country you are. throttling is a quite normal thing in asia).
We wanna play with you all. That's the point. Help us to do it! :D
Calvin likes this.
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Is Calvin debating the fact that a VPN can improve your connection?
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

yes. cos it doesn't.

well. im not debating whether it *can*, im debating whether it *does*.
it might be possible i guess, but it's definitely not the standard thing.

saying things are impossible is never a good idea... but it is very very unlikely
Arden

Post by Arden »

Can someone please remove Calvins useless spam ?

Yes VPNs do improve connection speed, many players has it across many games
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

hmm
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimf ... _actually/

"It could come to the fact that VPN Points of presence are located at the edge of the internet backbone. Which means that the route taken by the VPN packets are more direct than the packet routed by your ISP thru the entire internet."

but

"Actually, it's almost the opposite. Almost all VPN providers use Tier-2 backbone providers because no Tier-1 (AT&T, Level 3, Verizon) provider would allow what the VPN providers do.

The speed improvement is because the Tier-2 providers have less congested links to the Tier-1 providers and generally, routes to get to those Tier-2 providers are more liberal. If Netflix is congested, Comcast may still say "Tough shit, you still have to use Level 3, Netflix traffic" whereas if that same Level 3 link is congested but your VPN provider uses a Tier-2 provider who has connections to both Level 3 and say, Verizon, Comcast's routing table will say, "Hey, that link to VPN provider is congested over Level 3, send it over Verizon."

Think of a Tier-1 provider as a multi-lane on-ramp to get to the Interstate (backbone) whereas a Tier-2 provider is the street that connects you to the on-ramp.

Tier-1 Networks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_ne ... 1_networks
Tier-2 Networks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_2_network

Source: I built and ran a VPN company for about 3 years before the legal issues became too much to deal with."

cant someone just load the game with and without the vpn and post their pings?
someone trustworthy... :?
im pretty sure that from my location with my isp, loading a vpn would be slower. i dont have anything special, just live in the uk.
the *only* reason i would use a vpn, is to hide my identity and change my ip address

now if this is right, and some ISPs use like really bad paths to get to their locations, then i guess using a vpn for a better path would work. but that is based on your isp not prioritizing your traffic, and the VPN's traffic being higher priority, because you will still use your isp to connect to the VPN. but i suppose... it could go to a near node through your isp, then travel the long distance on the VPN's paths, and come out on a closer node. i just cant really believe that your isp would do that, because it's literally just downgrading you to prioritize the company, and we have like net neutrality and stuff. that is literally what it is all about. your connection should be as fast as the VPN's, and it should be more direct.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

for the record i think everyone using a vpn is doing so to cheat, unless they're from a country that screens all their internet traffic like china. but even then it's only because they use them for everything.

but i dont think you should ban the cheaters, jail them sure, delete the resources, but we shouldn't be banning people really, if people want to hardcore it and play as a criminal... as long as they're not hacking the server i dont think it's really that terrible.

i've always said this, it doesn't ruin the economy, it just changes it. you should be glad people want to play enough to want to cheat tbh