Recent bannings (January 2020)

UOG: Demise news will be posted here.
Arden

Re: Recent bannings( January 2020)

Post by Arden »

I heard its legal to have 8 accounts now, all logging form the same IP as long as you have a family member. Can some one link me how to sign up for this?
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

Imagine trying to target people cheating when you can ask half the population who the main people are and they still just ban new players.

Also, imagine ignoring tons and tons of videos and pictures showing people blatantly breaking the rules and integrity of the game then just blindly implementing something like that that could have irreparable collateral damage. Then except us to just be quiet when people are cheating us out of fair pvp.

I know it's a rough transition when the person these recent bannings was intended to target was a former staff member and literally the godfather of fucking over the demise economy and pvp, is it possible perhaps that carpet bombing all vpn users with bans instead wasnt the best idea?
The Silvertiger and Bama like this.
isterico

Post by isterico »

Bad Religion wrote: January 25th, 2020, 12:32 pm Imagine trying to target people cheating when you can ask half the population who the main people are and they still just ban new players.

Also, imagine ignoring tons and tons of videos and pictures showing people blatantly breaking the rules and integrity of the game then just blindly implementing something like that that could have irreparable collateral damage. Then except us to just be quiet when people are cheating us out of fair pvp.

I know it's a rough transition when the person these recent bannings was intended to target was a former staff member and literally the godfather of fucking over the demise economy and pvp, is it possible perhaps that carpet bombing all vpn users with bans instead wasnt the best idea?
Ppl cought with the hands in the jam by video and similar matiarial, must be wiped (wiped, better than banned imo. but ban, if necessary can be reasonable i guess).
This is completly different than an IP "prove" in a VPN world.

Anyway, thank you to the staff for invest their time for try to be more equal possibile.
Bama
Bug Hunter

Post by Bama »

Bad Religion wrote: January 25th, 2020, 12:32 pm Imagine trying to target people cheating when you can ask half the population who the main people are and they still just ban new players.

D9A2263B-77AB-4E31-84E7-00DBB4ED3583.jpeg
D9A2263B-77AB-4E31-84E7-00DBB4ED3583.jpeg (166.78 KiB) Viewed 18224 times
Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

哈哈哈
Bad Religion likes this.
Maloskies

Post by Maloskies »

So now, from my understanding, it is illegal to use ping services to demise? (Mudfish, wtfast etc.)

You realize this is 90% of your pvp player base correct? If you don’t live in east/mid US you will ping 150-200 minimum, the routing to the amazon server is awful so you absolutely need a vpn to connect to it. (my route travels 2k miles in the wrong direction before it even starts to go towards the server.)

If you’re willing to put into work to ban these players, you should put in the work to make this known, or provide an option to make it legal (registering your 4 accounts using x service) that way suspicious accounts that pop up can be investigated and taken care of.
Discord: Maloskies#2094
Arden

Post by Arden »

Maloskies wrote: January 25th, 2020, 6:09 pm So now, from my understanding, it is illegal to use ping services to demise? (Mudfish, wtfast etc.)

You realize this is 90% of your pvp player base correct? If you don’t live in east/mid US you will ping 150-200 minimum, the routing to the amazon server is awful so you absolutely need a vpn to connect to it. (my route travels 2k miles in the wrong direction before it even starts to go towards the server.)

If you’re willing to put into work to ban these players, you should put in the work to make this known, or provide an option to make it legal (registering your 4 accounts using x service) that way suspicious accounts that pop up can be investigated and taken care of.
Wow.... is this real life ?

How is a service that literally makes the server playable illegal? You realize every non American player uses some sort of service like this. Because without if the ping 500-1000 which makes anything but afk hw/bods impossible.

We let programs like uo buddy, fps, uoclassic, moded steam run rampant. People literally post videos using these programs and no bans. Yet we make a program illegal overnight literally alienating every player that isn’t American.

Wow.....im at a loss of words. How sad the server has come to this type of decision making
Larson
Demise Administrator

Post by Larson »

It does not specify in our rules whether vpn use is legal or not. We absolutely understand why some people would want to use them when they have bad ping, but if you do choose to use one you run the risk of getting linked to someone who is using that vpn to circumvent our account limit rule or do something else bad.

We will look into any cases where an innocent party may have been caught up, but as you can imagine it can be quite difficult to establish who owns the 50 generically named accounts that share that vpn with you. You must also however appreciate that we do this job in our spare time and making sure we have got things right is very time consuming.

As a side note, we have not finished yet. If you are running more accounts than you should be, which is 4 per household, we will get round to you eventually too, no matter what nationality you are.
Larson
UOGDemise - Admin

Please do not PM me for support.
If you are experiencing game issues please page for a staff member in-game.

Thank you for your continued support of UOG: Demise.
BooshBooshBoosh

Post by BooshBooshBoosh »

IMO you should lock this thread and just deal with PM's. No need to leave this open for public crying.
Discord Boosh#7515
kentares likes this.
Reetus

Post by Reetus »

An IP address isn't a person, my ISP uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT, so I have the same IP as half the country.
isterico and Qwerty like this.
BooshBooshBoosh

Post by BooshBooshBoosh »

Reetus wrote: January 25th, 2020, 9:46 pm An IP address isn't a person, my ISP uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT, so I have the same IP as half the country.
Yet you didn't get banned. Hmm, maybe staff looked into more than just IP's?
Discord Boosh#7515
Reetus

Post by Reetus »

BooshBooshBoosh wrote: January 25th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Reetus wrote: January 25th, 2020, 9:46 pm An IP address isn't a person, my ISP uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT, so I have the same IP as half the country.
Yet you didn't get banned. Hmm, maybe staff looked into more than just IP's?
Nah, just lucky Demise isn't popular in my country.
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

BooshBooshBoosh wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:37 pm IMO you should lock this thread and just deal with PM's. No need to leave this open for public crying.
You are literally what is wrong with demise
Bad Religion

Post by Bad Religion »

nice many of the innocent Koreans have been unbanned! thanks gms!
isterico and MarkHunt like this.
Arden

Post by Arden »

Larson wrote: January 25th, 2020, 8:19 pm It does not specify in our rules whether vpn use is legal or not. We absolutely understand why some people would want to use them when they have bad ping, but if you do choose to use one you run the risk of getting linked to someone who is using that vpn to circumvent our account limit rule or do something else bad.

We will look into any cases where an innocent party may have been caught up, but as you can imagine it can be quite difficult to establish who owns the 50 generically named accounts that share that vpn with you. You must also however appreciate that we do this job in our spare time and making sure we have got things right is very time consuming.

As a side note, we have not finished yet. If you are running more accounts than you should be, which is 4 per household, we will get round to you eventually too, no matter what nationality you are.
So for clarity -
Programs like wtfast and mudfish (and similar vpns) will cause a player to have similar IPs to other players. Which can lead to bannings. I know all of the due dillignce is being done to get only the bot accounts which is awesome! I can imagine how much time/effor that takes. Going forward, the players that have used those program and "found innocent" are they to some extent "white listed" to continue to use these programs. Or was this the sort of first and only warning. Meaning staff wont put the same effort in to protect the non cheating players.

The reason I ask, is I just want to know what the servers stance is on IP sharing, inadvertent or not.

Thanks
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Arden wrote: January 26th, 2020, 8:54 pm
So for clarity -
Programs like wtfast and mudfish (and similar vpns) will cause a player to have similar IPs to other players. Which can lead to bannings. I know all of the due dillignce is being done to get only the bot accounts which is awesome! I can imagine how much time/effor that takes. Going forward, the players that have used those program and "found innocent" are they to some extent "white listed" to continue to use these programs. Or was this the sort of first and only warning. Meaning staff wont put the same effort in to protect the non cheating players.

The reason I ask, is I just want to know what the servers stance is on IP sharing, inadvertent or not.

Thanks
EoS wrote somewhere that players are welcome to use VPN programs, and EoS even encouraged people to use them but wrote that they have to inform staff that they use one. Cant find the post, its possible it got lost somewhere on the old forum..

Maybe someone remembers how or where to look for it? I vaguely remember EoS writting something like 'to let people know which VPN you are useing' (so other people can use it too).
"To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost."
~Gustave Flaubert
subway2212 and Aj like this.