Good Movies

Off-topic general discussion, for everything else.
Facko

Re: Good Movies

Post by Facko »

This and cobra kai season 3 need to happen faster. Running out of good stuff here...
ultio mea est
Calvin likes this.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

i saw that Hunt film advertised not long ago, not seen it tho.. i dunno with that one man, it's very political... like overtly, i'll give it a watch. is it good?

season 3 of norsemen is out tho :D

good call on S2 of The Boys :D
Facko

Post by Facko »

I know who you're talking about. It's an over the top parody of liberal elites. It was really really hamfisted but it was a fun watch. You want to see them die and it's pretty satisfying.
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

lol will check it out.

i got back in touch with my old mate for uni, and he remembered the name of this weird film :D

it's the guy that made evangelion apparently.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

^
Calvin wrote: June 10th, 2020, 6:57 pm arrgh god there is a weird japanese film.. that is about like a homeless girl, and a photographer or something that gets obsessed with her.. nothing really happens in it, but it's so.. trippy.. cant for the life of me remember the name.. but she has a thing for walking on the tops of buildings.. like along the ledges.. and on train tracks... and she sleeps in like a flooded basement with a bathtub in it, and loads of red umbrellas upturned floating around... it was so fkin trippy... but what was it called.. i think it was the girls name >.<

i wanna watch that now lol... damnit..
pretty amazing how accurately i remembered this... only watched it once like 12 years ago.
rewatched it already... totally forgot the ending cos it's a bit meh. but the film itself is still trippy AF, forgot it was the evangelion guy.

it's probably not everyone's cup of tea... it's very... weird. very art house.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Does it make more sense than evangelion? It started ok then turned into some kinda nonsense. It's been a while since I've seen it... existentialist nonsense? I don't remember...
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

it's metaphysical nonsense :P
"existentialist nonsense"... yeah same thing i guess.
better to just call it trippy lol

but yeah.. erm... that film is more about emotional instability and insanity lol
it's hard to explain... like there's some things which aren't really a story, they're more about the 'feeling' you get from them.. like Furi Kuri, or Donnie Darko.. they're just... ya know what i mean though dont ya?

but yeah there's nothing super-natural in it. so it does make sense. it may slightly disturb you though.

i suppose the difference is that evangelion is very grand scale.. talking about humanity, extinction, good and evil... all that stuff (tbh im not sure cos i wasn't a fan of eva and didn't properly watch it all). where as this is much more personal, and just about the individual. it's a character study... of someone that's like... beautifully insane. ^.^

sorta akin to this guy:
aaand, Pink Floyd's The Wall.
or Perfect Blue, is another good example.

i dunno, i like them.
depends if you like psychological stuff i guess. a pragmatic person will see it as a bit shit and weird tbh.

i might have unique reasons for liking it... cos i knew a girl like this in college.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

they're not films you watch regularly... they're sort of films you watch once, but you never forget.

maybe watch them again when you feel the need. but they're the sorts of films you just sit and watch the credits roll up when they finish, because your brain is still processing it.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Ugh... you lost me at perfect blue... worst. Anime. Ever.

I get it but I don't like it... probably because I still know those girls lol
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

lol yeah i know what you mean, think i've only seen Perfect Blue once. but it's memorable and trippy.
Perfect Blue is a the same trippiness used for like a horror/thriller. this is very much a romance. it's just a bit... twisted.

it's not like Requiem for a Dream, which i fkin hate lol. they're not two of a kind at all... they just kinda give each-other what they need.
like in Requiem they just set up an idealistic world, then go about destroying and defiling it, it's a sick film that, not sick in a good way, sick in a perverse way.

this is much more like... broken people finding something to hold onto. they match because like, he's empty, while she's overflowing.
i like it anyway. it's got amazing cinematography.

tell ye what i didn't realize until i looked it up a couple of days ago, there's only 6 people in the entire film. and 2 of them are voice overs!

the acting is really amazing. in fact the girl is actually the girl who wrote the book that it's based on. so i dont even know if it really qualifies as acting.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

this'll be a weird one.. i wonder what the 1984 is all about.

"Why 1984? We wanted to bring Diana into the modern world, but the '80s is a period that Wonder Woman is quite synonymous with. So it was great to see her there, but most importantly, it's sort of the height of Western civilization and the success of the world that we all live in in the aftermath of now. So I was curious to collide our Wonder Woman into the height of our current modern belief system, and what kind of villains come out of that, and see what happens. So it all came quite naturally."

hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

is that captain SJW marvel vs wonderful traditional woman? are we calling it 1984 cos of orwell?

"So I was curious to collide our Wonder Woman into the height of our current modern belief system, and what kind of villains come out of that"

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

i will put money on wonder woman winning, but because she has the help/partnership of the bloke ;)
while the baddie fux herself over with her narcissistic solo effort.

(might be wrong, we'll see ;P )
(like... trans-cats anyone?)
Facko

Post by Facko »

I need to watch this again. Lol.

Sorry, no input on wonder woman. I didn't see the first one and I'm not gonna see the new one. The writers aren't really clever enough in the dcu for an Orwell reference tbh... they over politicized the first movie so much that I don't want to have anything to do with it. Plus I hate Chris pine or whatever and his vagina lips..
ultio mea est
Facko

Post by Facko »

I'll add this tho... fuck brie larson and her dumb shit YouTube channel. Her publicist much be good tho. Without ever looking her or the mcu up she ended up in my news feed...
ultio mea est
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

well if that Shadowgate documentary thing is right, then they're not looking up what you have previously looked up and giving you more of the same; they're looking up what you previously looked up, building you a profile, then sending you what they think will manipulate you... :S

wonder woman wasn't bad.. it's a weird one with the strong female characters, cos a certain political side seems to think being strong = being masculine = being a bitch. which is wrong at every step. wonder woman isn't that.. basically, she's a strong character that's nice. that's about all there is to it.
Facko

Post by Facko »

Calvin wrote: August 25th, 2020, 12:18 pmwonder woman wasn't bad.. it's a weird one with the strong female characters, cos a certain political side seems to think being strong = being masculine = being a bitch. which is wrong at every step. wonder woman isn't that.. basically, she's a strong character that's nice. that's about all there is to it.
You're probably right but I don't care to find out.

I got tired of seeing feminist stories in my news feed about how important wonder woman was because women are never leads in movies. You know that's bullshit. Or the stories about how gal gadot was wonder woman in real life. Etc... Not just one or twice but like 20+ stories a day. Probably because I deigned to watch a batman v superman review once...

Basically they wore me out on the movie before I even had a chance to see even a trailer. That with the dcu movies just being, "meh" at best... I was out.
ultio mea est